Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T / AS-T)
The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (SB 1440) establishes a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree for California Community College students and is designed to provide a clear pathway to the CSU degree major. It allows students to complete an Associate’s degree while satisfying lower division general education and major requirements for transfer at the same time.
It is important that students contact their local community college for information on meeting the requirements for a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree. For more information getting an Associate Degree for Transfer please visit adegreewithaguarantee.com .
What is required for admission consideration for Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T and AS-T) students?
CSU Fullerton is an impacted campus at the transfer level. Thus, admission to all majors at CSU Fullerton is competitive and to ensure that capacity is not exceeded, more rigorous standards are applied to the transfer applicant pool.
All transfer students must declare a major when submitting their admission application. For the Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) to be used in the admission process, the following must be met:
- The student must be pursuing an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) program at a California Community College.
- The Admission Application must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Fall deadline: November 30th
- Spring deadline: August 31st
- See the approved transfer pathways at adegreewithaguarantee.com.
- The student must apply to that corresponding major at CSU Fullerton.
- The Community College must certify the student is on-track to complete the Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) prior to the term they are applying to enter CSU Fullerton. A student can submit a petition to graduate (degree evaluation), verification form, or a transcript (unofficial or official) that shows the degree completed or in-progress.
- Fall admission: AA-T or AS-T degree must be completed no later than the prior Summer. Verification of degree is completed or in-progress must be received by April 1st.
- Spring admission: AA-T or AS-T degree must be completed no later than the prior Fall. Verification of degree is completed or in-progress must be received by November 8th
How do I obtain verification of the Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) in-progress or completed?
1. Submit your petition to graduate (degree evaluation) to your community college. The petition should be submitted to the appropriate department at your community college which completes these evaluations. Community colleges have adjusted their scheduled degree reviews for students pursuing these degrees. Community colleges will complete these degree reviews by October 22nd for Spring admission.
2. Submit a copy of the completed degree evaluation document from your community college to the CSU Fullerton Admissions office by no later than November 8th. Other forms that are acceptable are verification forms or transcripts showing your AA-T or AS-T degree completed or in-progress.
You are responsible for submitting a copy of the degree status evaluation form from your community college to CSU Fullerton. You are also responsible for submitting your final, official community college transcript showing completion of the AA‐T/AS‐T degree by the February 17th deadline. If, for any reason, you will not be completing an AA‐T or AS‐T, please inform the CSU Fullerton Admission office by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How will the Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) be used in determining admission eligibility?
If the requirements above have been met, then:
- Student must meet the entering GPA for the term. CSU Fullerton is impacted at the local level as well as major impacted. Thus, under current CSU guidelines, the student’s cumulative GPA will be increased by 0.1 and this ‘calculated GPA’ will be applied to the major specific minimum GPA and to any GPA used in the ranking of applicants.
- Student in good standing at the last college or university attended (eligible to re-enroll).
- Student must have earned 60 or more transferable semester units (90 or more quarter units).
- Students must complete the Golden Four courses by the term deadline.
- Fall deadline: Golden Four courses completed no later than the end of the Spring term.
- Spring deadline: Golden Four courses completed no later than the end of the Summer term.
- For additional requirements please review Transfer Admission Requirements page.
How will the Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) be used in determining my graduation requirements?
Students who have completed an approved Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) program deemed 'similar' to their CSU Fullerton major are eligible to graduate in 60 units. The exact pathway to complete the specific major will depend on the specific AA/AS curriculum. The 60 unit graduation option will obviously not be possible if the student changes majors or elects to add any additional degree objective, such as a second major or minor. It is highly recommended students have a consultation with their Department academic advisor or visit the Academic Advisement office.
Will CSU Fullerton send me information after I apply regarding my Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)?
Yes. If you indicated on your admission application that you have earned or will earn an Associate Degree for Transfer, we will send you an email after the application filing period has closed with specific information on the next steps required of you to validate your Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T).
CSU Fullerton will email you once we receive verification from your community college of your degree in progress. Furthermore, when we receive an official transcript with your degree awarded, we will also send you an email.
Please note if you do not complete your Associate Degree for Transfer as planned by the time of your final evaluation at CSU Fullerton, you will also be notified by email. CSU Fullerton will also notify you by email if your Associate Degree for Transfer is cancelled due to a major change, minor added, double major, or break in your enrollment due to disqualification.
What if I change my major after I applied for admission or while I am a student attending CSU Fullerton?
If you change your major to a major not related to your Associate Degree for Transfer, you may be required to complete more than 60 units in order to graduate. In addition, you may be required to repeat some lower division coursework that you previously completed at your community college. We recommend you make an appointment with your department advisor and the academic advisement office to review the changes to your study plan. We also recommend you review your updated TDA. CSU Fullerton will notify you by email if we find you have cancelled your Associate Degree for Transfer Agreement.
Additional Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) Information
- Review California Community Colleges Associate Degrees for Transfer for general information on the California Community Colleges Associate Degrees for Transfer. Information can be found at the following website: http://adegreewithaguarantee.com/
- Contact your community college transfer center for information on meeting the requirements for an Associate for Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) and to determine the degree programs deemed similar to CSU Fullerton majors.
- Make sure to adhere to all CSU Fullerton deadlines.