European Studies, B.A.
Learning Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
The following goals and student learning outcomes apply to students pursuing the B.A. in European Studies:
- understand holistically the historical development of European politics, economics, society, and culture
Cultural diversity in Europe
- recognize and analyze the contributions of cultural diversity to Europe's past and present
Europe in a Global Context
- relate European regional developments to the global forces shaping developments in other world regions
- identify the particular approaches of specific academic disciplines that study Europe
- evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of specific disciplinary approaches to regional studies
- synthesize from across the humanities and social sciences the multiple disciplinary approaches to the regional study of Europe
Effective Written and Oral Communication
- communicate both in writing and orally in a stylistically and grammatically correct manner in order to articulate the information learned in the program
- think critically and comprehend, analyze, and synthesize information from a variety of primary and secondary sources, including written sources, images, and film.