Learning goals and student learning outcomes
The following goals and learning outcomes have been established for students pursuing the MA degree in Geography.
- Demonstrate advanced competency in the theory and methods of human geography.
- Demonstrate advanced competency in the theory and methods of physical geography.
- Demonstrate advanced competency in the theory and methods of geospatial techniques.
- Identify a meaningful geographic research problem.
- Ability to design an appropriate research study.
- Master skills necessary to conduct research using field, quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies.
- Ability to work in multicultural, international and collaborative environments.
- Prepare students for careers in planning, environmental analysis, GIS and mapping; education including community college teaching; or advanced study in Ph.D. programs.
Effective Written and Oral Communication
- Enable students to achieve excellence in geographic writing.
- Enable students to orally present the results of geographic research and analysis.
- Develop and write a scholarly thesis demonstrating mastery of geographic knowledge in a primary area of expertise.