Learning Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
The following goals and outcomes have been established for students pursuing the MA degree in Spanish
Linguistic and Literary Analysis
- Understand and analyze in further depth language as a system and as a tool for communication
- Recognize discrete language segments
- Distinguish synchronic and diachronic factors of language variation and explain the historical circumstances that influenced those changes
- Interpret literary works from different philosophical and theoretical perspectives.
- Identify the salient characteristics of different literary genres.
- Explain the socio-historical contexts of literary works.
- Incorporate literary terms appropriately into textual analysis.
- Understand the historical and cultural roles of Spanish- speaking countries and peoples in a global context.
- Identify past and current regional trends in the Hispanic world as well as their implications.
- Synthesize critics' ideas.
- Distinguish between varying perspectives.
- Formulate sound arguments and support them with appropriate evidence.
- Demonstrate appropriate written and oral expression in the target language.
- Demonstrate technological competence in presentations.
- Demonstrate advanced competence in oral and written presentations.