International Students are welcome to apply to CSUF if they have good English skills as measured by the TOEFL or IELTS and have completed their level of schooling at an internationally accredited institution in good academic standing. They must have financial support for the full duration of study. Download the International Student Financial Statement and Affidavit forms here.
Students must submit documentation of financial support as well as official TOEFL score reports, transcripts or mark sheets from previous institutions they have attended, and other documents as indicated. A waiver of the TOEFL may be available to those who have attended institutions where the language of instruction is English. See the TOEFL Waiver form for more information.
Students applying with no college work completed must have a score of at least 500 on the paper test or 61 Internet-based test (iBT) of the TOEFL. An acceptable IELTS score is 5.5. Computer-based TOEFL scores are not accepted. In addition, they must have completed coursework equivalent to a U. S. high school curriculum.
Students applying with the equivalent of at least 60 transferable semester college units must have a score of at least 500 on the paper test or 61 on the Internet-based test (iBT) of the TOEFL. An acceptable IELTS score is 5.5. Computer-based TOEFL scores are not accepted. Students must also be in good academic standing at an internationally accredited college or university.
Students who have earned a degree equivalent to an U.S. bachelor’s degree may apply for a master's degree. The minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL paper test or 80 Internet-based test (iBT) is required. However, many departments require a higher score. Computer-based TOEFL scores are not accepted. A minimally acceptable score on IELTS for graduate applicants is a 6.5 for most Masters programs and 7.0 for the Masters in Business Administration (MBA), Nursing, Music, and TESOL programs. Contact the individual department for additional supporting documents and requirements. Students who do not meet the minimum TOEFL requirement may enroll in the American Language Program.
Basic Application Process
- It takes up to four months to process an application and to issue an I-20.
- Complete the online application at CSUMentor.edu. Apply as soon as possible as categories and majors may close at any time after the initial filing period has passed. Also be sure to read about our requirements, important updates and deadlines
- Students are encouraged to submit all necessary documents to the Admissions Office, P.O. Box 6900, Fullerton, CA, 92834-6900, USA immediately upon submission of the application. These documents include the required level of TOEFL score, all transcripts or mark sheets in both the native language and an English translation, degree certificates, and for graduate applicants, required documents for the specific department. A full evaluation of all documents is completed before an admission is determined.
- Upon being admitted to the University, international students must submit the International Student Financial Statement and Affidavit forms and financial documents to the Office of International Education & Exchange, 800 N State College, UH244, Fullerton, CA 92834-6830. Once the financial documents have been received and approved, the I-20 will be processed.
- Additional required steps will be communicated during the process via emails and letters from the Admissions and International Education & Exchange offices.
- Application status will be available via the Student Portal.
- Check your messages often!
Nonresident Student Budget