NATWA Single Mother Scholarship
This scholarship was established in November 2000 from a generous donation by Ms. Sadako Chiu. She was raised by a single mother, Mrs. Yu Chen. Ms. Chiu saw first-hand what hardship single mothers had to sustain. This NATWA Single-Mother-Student Scholarship offers $1,000 for each of two students currently enrolled in a university or two-year college (also a single-mother) who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in her activities in school, the community or the workplace. The scholarship is sponsored by NATWA (North America Taiwanese Women’s Association); scholarship funding for the year of 2014 is donated by Mrs. Shon Yang.
- Be a single mother and a student, regardless of age and race.
- Be a full-time student currently enrolled in an accredited two-year or four–year college or university in the United States/ Canada by fall 2014.
- Be ambitious and motivated, as evidenced by achievement in school, community or work activities.
- Be recommended by two unrelated adults who can attest to the student’s achievement. The recommendation letter should be mailed to the scholarship committee directly by the person who wrote the letter.
- Submit official current school transcript of grades. The minimum GPA requirement is 2.5 or equivalent of 62.5% in Canada.
- Submit two essays:
- My Future Planning
- What I know about Taiwan. (500-1000 words for each essay)