Message from the President
Dear Members of the Chicano/Latino Faculty and Staff Association:
I welcome the opportunity to serve you as president of our Chicano/ Latino Faculty and Staff Association for the 2016-17 academic year. As a brief introduction, I served as Vice-President of the Association for the past two years. I am a Lecturer with the Department of Elementary and Bilingual Education, and Project Coordinator with the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Centers Department (DIRC). I have been at CSUF since 1987 and have since then felt that serving our campus is a privilege, particularly in supporting the retention and graduation success of our students, and in developing and maintaining a healthy dialogue and collegial support system for our faculty and staff.
The following are ideas that I believe, with your membership and engagement, will allow for expansion and direction of our campus association.
- Expand the interest, investment, and energy of our membership.
- Develop a support system for faculty and staff members.
- Address Chicano/Latino issues that are significant both to our campus community and to the broader outside community that benefit from our involvement and support.
- Continue to identify and engage community sponsors that can support our association and involve themselves in relevant program development and investment in the education of our students.
- Engage our Chicano/Latino faculty and staff in various departments to emerge as supporters, mentors, and advocates for our Chicano/Latino students.
- Maintain the integrity of the Chicano/Latino Faculty and Staff Association hallmark events that have occurred historically for years.
I look forward to working with our new 2015-16 EBoard. I welcome your support, comments, and questions. Moreover, I look forward to your energy, commitment, and resourcefulness, which will certainly assist in moving our Association toward a collective voice on our HSI campus.
CLFSA President Elizabeth A. Suarez, PhD