Website Heading
Skip navigation and go to page content


Judicial Affairs Title CSUF Making Integrity Count
CSUF Policies | Conduct Procedures | Faculty Resources | Student Resources | Staff Resources
Horizontal Line



Frequently asked Questions . . . . . . . .





I was involved in an incident and told that I had to come to Judicial Affairs, what does that mean?
Judicial Affairs will receive a written report from a member of the University community including faculty and University Police if a student is accused of violating our rules. You will then receive a letter from us mandating that you call our office to schedule a meeting to discuss the allegation. This one-on-one meeting with the Associate Dean will be your opportunity to tell what happened from your perspective.


May I request information regarding my case over the telephone?
As a general rule, we do not provide such information over the phone because information regarding disciplinary matters is highly confidential, and we must be sure that we are providing the information to the correct person.  If you have not already scheduled a meeting with Judicial Affairs, you may call (657) 278-4436.


What happens if I don’t make a meeting with Judicial Affairs after I receive a disciplinary letter?
If a student fails to comply with the request to schedule a meeting, then Judicial Affairs will place a hold on the student’s registration record prohibiting the student from dropping or adding classes or obtaining a transcript.


Can someone attend the meeting with me?
Yes, you may ask another person to accompany you to the meeting.  However, under current University policy, that person may not be an attorney (see President's Directive #9).  However, nothing precludes you from consulting with an attorney prior to the meeting.  If you invite another person into the disciplinary meeting you are providing authorization for that person to hear information about the allegation.

You must be aware that separate meetings are scheduled for any students involved in the same disciplinary matter, including those who have been referred to Judicial Affairs and/or who may have witnessed an incident being investigated by Judicial Affairs.


I have an attorney, what is his/her role in the disciplinary process?
While you may consult with your attorney concerning the matter, your attorney may not accompany you in either the conference meeting or at a hearing.


Can my parents obtain information from Judicial Affairs about my case?
The issue in question is between the student and the University.  Your disciplinary proceedings are therefore confidential and protected by University policy based on federal law.  If a parent contacts our office concerning a disciplinary matter, the parent will be referred back to you for clarification.

Our office will provide disciplinary information to your parents if you have signed a Discipline File Release Form, authorizing us to do so.


Who has access to my disciplinary record?
Your disciplinary record is considered confidential.  However, information concerning your disciplinary record may be available to appropriate University officials, faculty and/or staff who have a legitimate education interest in such information.  In addition, information regarding your disciplinary record may be released to other individuals or entities upon your written request or in accordance with state and federal law.


How long will my disciplinary record be maintained?
Most disciplinary records are maintained for at least seven years.  Some records however are kept permanently, including those in which sanctions assessed include suspension, expulsion, denial or revocation of a degree, and/or withdrawal of a diploma.


If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to Judicial Affairs?
Yes, the same set of facts may result in an investigation by both the University and the courts.


How can I have a hold lifted from my record?
You will need to call Judicial Affairs at (657) 278-4436.  Generally, the hold means that you have either failed to respond to the disciplinary letter or you have failed to fulfill other obligations concerning a disciplinary case including mandated sanctions.


What steps do I take to complete questions on applications or reference forms about disciplinary records?
You will need to bring the form to the Dean of Students Office, Judicial Affairs at TSU-235.  You will need to bring an official photo ID, the signed form, and a stamped, addressed envelope.  If the form does not have a signed released allowing us to provide information of that nature, you will be asked to sign a release in our office.  Generally, these forms are processed within 72 hours.


How can I report a suspected violation of the Student Conduct Code?
If you have reason to believe that a student may have violated University rules, you may contact Judicial Affairs at (657) 278-4436.  Arrangements can be made for you to meet with the Associate Dean who will discuss the situation with you and inform you of your options.


Will I be able to know the outcome of another student’s disciplinary matter?
We will only release information about the outcome of another student’s disciplinary matter upon his/her written consent or when required to do so by state or federal law.


What if I am accused of academic dishonesty?

  • If you are accused of academic dishonesty you will have an opportunity to speak to your instructor about the allegation.  If you understand that you have committed an act of dishonesty it is best to admit to doing so and to apologize to the professor.  It will not prevent the instructor from assessing a penalty; however it is the honorable thing for you to do.

  • Under the University policy on academic dishonesty, UPS 300.021, the professor may assess a sanction ranging from an oral reprimand to an F in the course.

  • If you believe that you have not committed an act of dishonesty you have the right to challenge the professor’s decision through the Academic Appeal Process, UPS 300.030.

  • The professor will also refer the matter to Judicial Affairs.
University LogoSkip quick links Search Home: Link to CSUF homepage
This page is maintained by CSUF Dean of Students Office.  Report problems to Julie Killian,
California State University, Fullerton ©2002.  All Rights Reserved.

Site may contain links to web sites not administered by CSUF, or one of its divisions, schools, departments, units or programs.
California State University, Fullerton is not responsible or liable for the accuracy or the content of linked pages.