Why does CSUF offer Care SErvices?
Care Services are needed when students experience distress that hinders them academically, emotionally, behaviorally, or physically. While many students cope with normal college related pressures and demands successfully, a significant number of students have difficulties which interfere with their performance. Our goal is to provide exemplary programs and services designed to support students' academic and personal success.
What are Care Services?
The welfare and success of our students is our priority. Care Services include:
- Connecting students to counseling services or other mental health services.
- Providing information related to support services or other campus departments.
- Providing information related to Basic Needs Services.
- Connecting them to the Student Success Teams in their college. This involves helping students meet staff in their colleges who can provide academic advising and career development.
- Helping students develop healthy plans of action that restore well-being and promote success. Sometimes this consists of accessing involvement opportunities on campus; helping them problem solve specific challenges; providing university related information.
- Notifying faculty should they miss class due to hospitalization.
Why be Concerned?
Attending university is an exciting and dynamic experience that can include making lifelong friends, engaging in exciting intellectual pursuits, and participating in the campus community. It is a time to grow in self-awareness and to develop a sense of adult identity.
It may also be a time of great stress. Balancing family, work, financial, and other obligations may tax a student’s coping skills. When stress is severe, it may lead to physical and emotional distress and academic failure.
Distress may also result in displays of disruptive or problematic behavior. Students in distress may benefit from a personal referral or other personalized outreach to connect them with support resources available on campus.