Students' Frequently Asked Questions

I was involved in an incident and told that I had to come to Student Conduct, what does that mean?

Student Conduct will receive a written report from a member of the University community including faculty and University Police if a student is accused of violating our rules. You will then receive a letter from us mandating that you call our office to schedule a meeting to discuss the allegation. This meeting with a Student Conduct staff member will be your opportunity to tell what happened from your perspective.

I did not do anything wrong. Why did I receive an email from Student Conduct?

You should read through communication from Student Conduct. Students sometimes are contacted if they may have been a witness to an incident, as part of follow-up communication, or if a report mentions them.

May I request information regarding my case over the telephone?

As a general rule, we do not provide such information over the phone because information regarding disciplinary matters is highly confidential, and we must be sure that we are providing the information to the correct person. If you have not already scheduled a meeting with Student Conduct, you may contact the office at or (657) 278-4436.

What happens if I don't attend a meeting with Student Conduct after I receive a disciplinary letter?

If a student fails to attend a meeting, then Student Conduct will place a hold on the student's records, prohibiting the student from dropping or adding classes or obtaining a transcript. A Hearing may take place if a student fails to respond or otherwise comply with the process.

Can someone attend the meeting with me?

Yes, you may ask another person to accompany you to the meeting as an Advisor. While under current University policy, that person may not be an attorney (see President's Directive #9), you would be permitted to consult with an attorney prior to the meeting. If you invite another person into the disciplinary meeting, you would need to provide authorization for that person to hear information about the allegation and your record. You must be aware that separate meetings are scheduled for any students involved in the same disciplinary matter, including those who have been referred to Student Conduct and/or who may have witnessed an incident being investigated by Student Conduct. Anyone who might have been involved in the same incident or been a witness is not permitted to serve as your Advisor.

I have an attorney, what is their role in the disciplinary process?

While you may consult with your attorney concerning the matter, your attorney may not accompany you in either the Conference meeting or at a Hearing.  Except as provided for in Article III, Section D.1.b. of Executive Order 1098, only in cases where (a) there are pending criminal (felony) charges arising out of the same facts that are the subject of the disciplinary proceeding or (b) the recommended sanction is expulsion, may an attorney be present at specifically the Hearing as the student's advisor.

Can my parents obtain information from Student Conduct about my case?

The issue in question is between the student and the University. Your disciplinary proceedings are therefore confidential and protected by University policy based on federal law. If a parent contacts our office concerning a disciplinary matter, the parent will be referred back to you for clarification.  Our office will provide disciplinary information to your parents if you have signed a Discipline File Release FormPDF File , authorizing us to do so.

Who has access to my disciplinary record?

Your disciplinary record is considered confidential. However, information concerning your disciplinary record may be available to appropriate University officials, faculty and/or staff who have a legitimate education interest in such information. In addition, information regarding your disciplinary record may be released to other individuals or entities upon your written request or in accordance with state and federal law.

How long will my disciplinary record be maintained?

Most disciplinary records are maintained for at least seven years. Some records however are kept permanently, including those in which sanctions assessed include suspension, expulsion, denial or revocation of a degree, and/or withdrawal of a diploma.

If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to Student Conduct?

Yes, the same set of facts may result in an investigation by both the University and the courts.

How can I have a hold lifted from my record?

You will need to contact Student Conduct at or (657) 278-4436. Often, the hold means that you have either failed to respond to the disciplinary letter or you have failed to fulfill other obligations concerning a disciplinary case including mandated sanctions.

What steps do I take to complete questions on applications or reference forms about disciplinary records?

You will need to bring the form to the Dean of Students Office, Student Conduct at TSU-243 or You will need to bring an official photo ID (or reach us through your CSUF email account), the signed form, and a stamped, addressed envelope. If the form does not have a signed released allowing us to provide information of that nature, you will be asked to sign a release in our office. Generally, these forms are processed within 72 hours.

How can I report a suspected violation of the Student Conduct Code?

If you have reason to believe that a student may have violated University policy or regulations, you may contact Student Conduct at or (657) 278-4436. Arrangements can be made for you to meet with a member of the Student Conduct team who will discuss the situation with you and inform you of your options.

Will I be able to know the outcome of another student's disciplinary matter?

We will only release information about the outcome of another student's disciplinary matter upon their written consent or when required/permitted to do so by state or federal law.

What if I am accused of academic dishonesty?

If you are accused of academic dishonesty you will have an opportunity to speak to your instructor about the allegation. If you understand that you have committed an act of dishonesty it is best to admit to doing so and to apologize to the professor. It will not prevent the instructor from assessing a penalty; however it is the honorable thing for you to do.

  • Under the University policy on academic dishonesty, UPS 300.021PDF File , the professor may assess a sanction ranging from an oral reprimand to an F in the course.
  • If you believe that you have not committed an act of dishonesty or you believe that the academic penalty was too severe, then you have the right to challenge the professor's decision through the Academic Appeal Process, UPS 300.030PDF File .
  • The professor will also refer the matter to Student Conduct.