How to Refer a Disciplinary Matter to Student Conduct

Although University staff members are always welcome to consult with a Student Conduct staff member by contacting, calling (657) 278-4436, or in person (TSU-243), please use our Incident Reporting Form when referring conduct matters or students who have violated our rules (Student Conduct Code).

The report should contain the name and ID number of the accused student(s) if known, a summary of the incident, and contact information for the referring party along with any witnesses.  Be sure to attach any supporting evidence or documentation when submitting your report.


Dealing with Disruptive Students

What is disruptive behavior?

Behavior which directly interferes with the goals of the office and the mission of the university. Be clear on the goals of the office. Failure to enforce standards disadvantages other students.

Strategies for preventing disruptive behavior

  • Set standards/clarify expectations/notify students
  • Develop office protocol for dealing with issues
  • Establish consequences including conditions under which a student would be asked to leave the office
  • Train staff

Strategies for responding to disruptive behavior

  • Early intervention
  • Progressive
  • Consistent
  • Consult with supervisor
  • Meet with student
  • When appropriate, report student to Student Conduct
  • When appropriate, report to University Police

Meeting with the disruptive student

  • Remain calm
  • Be specific about the inappropriate behavior the student has exhibited. Describe the behavior, don't focus on the person. Explain why the behavior is a problem
  • Ask questions and summarize
  • Conclude by summarizing any resolution and articulating expectations for the future. Be clear that continued inappropriate action may result in a referral to the Dean of Students Office, Student Conduct for disciplinary action and possible loss of services.
  • Maintain written documentation of the interaction
  • Terminate the conversation if it becomes apparent that the student is unwilling or unable to listen to your concerns and requests

These recommendations are based on the expectation that students can and will be reasonable if they have adequate information, clearly understand parameters, and are treated with respect. The expectation is that students can change their behavior. However, if they demonstrate unwillingness or inability to change, then additional interventions, including removal from the office, may be necessary.

University Resources

Addressing Difficult or Sensitive Matters

When addressing difficult or sensitive matters involving students, staff members have several campus resources available to them for support and consultation.

  • Consultation with   Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Opens in new window , (657) 278-3040, may be appropriate when a student is struggling with a personal issue, experiencing stress or a mental health crisis.
  • For more urgent or troubling matters, please access   "Helping Students in Distress"   PDF File Opens in new window , a guide available to Faculty and Staff for assisting students in need, prepared for you by the staff in Counseling and Psychological Services and with input from many other campus departments and services.
  • Consider consulting the Office of Disability Support Services Opens in new window , GH-101, (657) 278-3117, if you believe that a student would benefit from their services.
  • You may also contact   Student Conduct   at (657) 278-4436 when you are concerned that the student behavior may also be a violation of University standards.
  • However,   University Police   Opens in new window (Emergency: 911 from campus phones, Non-emergency: (657) 278-2515) should be contacted immediately regarding any situation in which you believe that a student may be a danger to self or others.