The EMBRACE (Educating Myself for Better Racial Awareness & Cultural Enrichment) is collaboration between the Student Leadership Institute and the Multicultural Leadership Center. EMBRACE stands for educating myself for Better Racial Awareness and Cultural Enrichment and provides training in leadership as it relates to cultural sensitivity, diversity, and multicultural understanding, by promoting effective intercultural communication. The EMBRACE workshops are facilitated by student leaders trained on intercultural communication, multicultural and identity development theory, diversity issues, and facilitation skills.
Students completing the track will receive a certificate of completion and will be recognized at the SLI Annual Recognition Ceremony.
- To increase awareness of different frames of reference.
- To understand how our expectations affect our interactions with others.
- To promote the benefits of consciously thinking about our behavior .
- To actively create safe environments in our pursuit to embrace diversity.
- Develop confidence in the ability of students to explore challenging issues
- Acquire skills necessary to work with diverse groups.
- Learn and understand the positive impact of cultural diversity.
- Opportunity to become an EMBRACE Facilitator upon completion of certificate.
- Strengthen personal resume with diversity training and multicultural understanding.
To earn the EMBRACE Leadership Certificate , Students must complete Sections A , B , C , D .
Section A: Program Core Workshops
- Introduction to Leadership (1.5 hours)
- Ethical Decision Making (1.5 hours)
- Leading and Managing a Diverse Group (1.5 hours)
Section B: Track Core Workshops - students must complete all of the workshops in this section in chronological order in the same semester.
- It's Hard to See the Picture When You're Inside the Frame (2 hours)
- Stereotypes…Helpful or Harmful (2 hours)
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words Part 1 (2 hours)
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words Part 2 (2 hours)
- Being Flexible In A Changing World (2 hours)
- A Reason to Change (2 hours)
Section C: Elective Workshops - students must complete any 2 of the workshops listed below.
- Culture and Gender Roles (1.5 hours)
- Dealing with Racism (1.5 hours)
- Exploring Ethnicity (1.5 hours)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues (1.5 hours)
- Understanding "Isms" (1.5 hours)
Section D: Experiential Component
Participants are required to complete a minimum of 5 hours of applied leadership. This can be any activity that participants are involved outside the classroom or workshop setting that allows them to utilize the skills they have gained from there track. Five hours are required for each track the participant is involved in. Please see the Experiential Component Policy for more information.
LAST UPDATED 01/28/2010