"Students learn by becoming involved" —Astin
ACE 5 Step Process
CSUF has many student leaders who are highly involved on campus. Find out how getting involved added to their college experience and future opportunities.
- What is ACE?
ACE, which stands for A Co-curricular Education, is a 5 Step Process designed to help you identify opportunities to get involved at CSUF and to learn how to skillfully document and utilize those experiences. CSUF is a place where “learning is preeminent.” We truly believe that everything you do, both in and out of the classroom, plays a big role in enhancing your learning.
Whether you join a club or organization, conduct research, participate in an internship, get a job, become a student leader, or take part in the many other activities available both on campus and in the community, you are developing key skills that will make you a more attractive candidate for all your future endeavors.
All of these things are considered your “Co-curricular” experiences. ACE takes you through the process of determining what experiences you would like to have, thinking about what you have learned after getting involved and then recording those experiences on a Co-curricular Achievement Record (CAR).
- How will ACE benefit me?
There are several benefits to being an ACE student such as:
- Learn how to effectively communicate transferable skills
- Improve your marketability for prospective employment and graduate admission
- Be able to identify and strengthen skills through various involvement opportunities
- Increase your knowledge of student services on campus and how these programs can assist you in achieving your goals
- Develop networking relationships with faculty, staff, community members and employees
- Gain a clear understanding of learning which takes place both inside and outside of the classroom
- What is the ACE 5 Step Process?
- ACE is your link to a 5 Step Process that will help you along your journey. You will discover how to Plan your involvement, Participate in various experiences, Reflect on your learning, Record what you have done, and Apply those skills and knowledge as you pursue graduate school, careers, and other professional endeavors. No matter where you are in the process, you can use ACE as your tool.
- What is a Co-curricular Achievement Record (CAR)?
- ACE provides you the opportunity to develop and maintain a Co-curricular Achievement Record (CAR). Your CAR will include documentation of all your activities and help you to group these experiences into several different categories. If you would like assistance reflecting on your experiences and evaluating what skills you have developed, we are here to assist. In this way, ACE serves as a valuable networking vehicle for students, allowing relationships with faculty and staff to develop.
In developing your CAR, you will use the worksheet provided in Step 4 to record your involvement in the areas listed below:
- Awards & Scholarships
- Community Service Involvement & Service Learning / Internships
- Educational Conferences / Workshops / Presentations
- Committees / Councils / Student Government
- Leadership Positions / Activities
- Academic Research
- Study Aboard
- Performing Arts