Volunteer and Service Center Projects
This program coordinates one-time monthly volunteer events focusing on hunger and homelessness, particularly in Orange County. Volunteers help prepare and serve food at local soup kitchens and shelters, pack food that goes out to needy and homeless families, and help coordinate food, clothing and hygiene kit drives on campus. They also spend time interacting with homeless individuals and families to better understand the conditions and issues they face.
Seven Facts About the Homeless in Orange County:
- 34,998 people are homeless.
- 25,000 of these are homeless families.
- 16,332 of these are children.
- 5,389 homeless children are under the age of six.
- Less than 900 emergency shelter beds exist in the entire county.
- 60% of the homeless go regularly without meals.
- 81% feel severe hunger.
Source: Orange County Rescue Mission