Volunteer Opportunities In Domestic Violence
During 1992 approximately 28 percent of female homicide victims (1,414 women) were known to have been killed by their husbands,
former husbands or boyfriends. In contrast, just over 3 percent of male homicide victims (637) were known to have been killed by their
wives, former wives or girlfriends.
-Ronet Bachman, Ph.D. and Linda E. Saltman
- Laura’s House
- San Juan Capistrano (949) 361-3775 ext. 209
- Laura’s House is a non-profit organization that prevents and reduces the incidence of domestic and family violence through shelter and support programs, education and outreach. Provides supportive services and programs designed to break the cycle of violence and reduces its effects.
- Women Helping Women
- Costa Mesa (949) 631-2333
- Women Helping Women empowers needy and abused women to continue forward to economic self-sufficiency and life without violence. The organization is completely volunteer driven.
- Su Casa Family Crisis and Support Center
- Artesia (310) 402-7081
- Su Casa conducts a 40-hour training for people who are interested in volunteer service to the women and children of Su Casa. This training will prepare you to address the issues of domestic violence, child abuse, medical and legal support, counseling skills, and crisis intervention as a volunteer.
- Community Service Programs (CSP)
Victim Assistance Programs
- Fullerton (714) 773-4575
- The CSP Victim Witness Centers provide support to victims and witnesses of crimes. Volunteers provide direct assistance to clients restitution and witness services, and general office support.
- Stop Gap
- Costa Mesa (714) 979-7061
- Provides therapeutic drama workshops using role-play for groups such as: battered women, at-risk youth, seniors, adults, abused children, and children in hospitals.
- Community Service Programs Domestic Violence Assistance
- Orange (714) 935-7956
- Services to victims of domestic violence assist in preparation of paperwork necessary to obtain temporary restraining orders, crisis intervention counseling, community referrals and court support.
- Human Options Community Resource Center
- Irvine (949) 737-5242 ext. 223
- Human Option provides comprehensive services to break the cycle of domestic violence at each stage. Volunteers are required to attend trainings in order to volunteer with women and children in the program.
- Olive Crest
- Orange County (800) 550-2445 ext. 1184
- Whether you have just a few minutes, an hour, a day, a week, a month, or a year, Olive Crest will find creative ways to put your valuable time to good use for the children and families of Olive Crest.