Volunteer Opportunities with the Elderly
As the population age 65 and older continues to increase, more and more families will be faced with providing care for an elderly
family member. By the year 2000, persons age 65 and older are expected to represent 13 percent of the population. This percentage may
climb to 20 percent by 2030. The elderly community needs our help!
-Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet
It is easy to get involved with elderly adults. There are nursing or retirement homes in almost every community, and there are probably elderly adults living in your neighborhood who may want a helping hand or a smiling companion. Brighten up someone’s day! The following organizations work with elderly adults.
- South County Senior Services
- Laguna (949) 380-0155
- A community resource and consumer advocate for the general welfare of senior citizens. Volunteers are needed for office support, clerk, recreation, crafts, construction work, and general maintenance.
- FISH (Friends in Service to Humanity)
- Fullerton (714) 525-5807
- Agency provides transportation for seniors and others needing access to medical or shopping visits. Volunteers are needed to drive individuals on occasional or ongoing basis.
- Cypress Senior Citizens Center
- Cypress (714) 229-2005
- Volunteers are needed for the Nutrition Program at Cypress Senior Center. Join the kitchen crew and help with cleanup, or help by delivering meals to home-bound local elders.
- Council on Aging, Orange County
- Santa Ana (714) 479-0107
- Promotes adult empowerment, abuse prevention, and advocacy for the elderly. Agency needs volunteers 21 years and older for the HICap program, to assist clients with insurance questions.
- Project Cherish
- Huntington Beach (714) 960-2478
- Provides free home maintenance to Huntington Beach Seniors who are physically unable to do the work themselves and unable to pay to have it done.
- Acacia Adult Day Services
- Garden Grove (714) 530-1566
- Provides day care and health care for frail adults and their families including physical/occupational therapy, nutritional care, referrals, and casework. Volunteer to help the physical/occupational staffs, assist casework staff, and help with clerical tasks.
- Hugs for Health Foundation
- Tustin (714) 832-4847
- Enhances the quality of life for elders residing in senior care and residential communities by providing hug therapy and volunteer support services as a facet of the overall care plan.
- Adult Day Health Care Center
- San Clemente (949) 498-7671
- Provides a low cost organized day care program of therapeutic recreation, health, and social services for serving adults with disabling physical and/or mental functioning problems.
- Heartland Home Health Care and Hospice
- Orange (714) 558-2377
- Hospice is a special kind of care designed to provide comfort care as well as spiritual and emotional support for people in the final phase of terminal illness. Volunteers are necessary because they are the heart of the Hospice Team.