Looking for a Student Leadership, Fieldwork or Internship Opportunity?
BE A PROJECT DIRECTOR
Project Director Description
The Volunteer & Service Center relies on student leaders called Project Directors to coordinate its many community service and social action projects throughout the fall and spring semesters. Students serving in these positions recruit volunteers, develop and oversee activities, conduct program evaluation and work to continually improve programming. Each Project Director is paired with 1-4 other Project Directors to oversee and ensure the success of each project. Being a Project Director is an excellent experience where you grow as an individual and become a member of the Volunteer & Service Center family.
Benefits of Being a Project Director
- Develop leadership skills
- Enhance your communication and public speaking skills
- Collaborate with students, faculty, staff and community partners
- Build knowledge about the populations and habitats we serve
- Gain confidence
- Become a more socially responsible and aware individual.
- Fulfill internship requirements in majors such as Human Services, Communications, Psychology, Graphic Design and many other fields that have internship requirements. As long as there is a good fit between your internship requirements and the experience you will have through the Volunteer & Service Center, we can usually make it work!
- Interest in working with children, the homeless, environmental and social issues
- Experience in student, community, volunteer, or non-profit organizations
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Able to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Must be self-motivated and able to take initiative
- Event planning and coordination experience
- Good organizational skills
- Leadership experience
- Program planning and development experience
** Note: if you do not meet these qualifications, but have a sincere desire to learn and develop these skills, please apply! We work with you to develop the skills you need to be a successful Project Director and student leader.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a team of Project Directors to coordinate one of the Volunteer & Service Center’s community service or social action projects; this may include weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or large-scale one-time events.
- In collaboration with the Volunteer & Service Center Coordinator, develop and implement activities that address current issues facing the community.
- Recruit, train and supervise student volunteers.
- Conduct outreach and marketing.
- Network with student, faculty, staff, campus organizations and community agencies.
- Evaluate volunteer programs and document volunteer participation.
- Available to commit from 4-8 hours weekly in the office Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., as well as additional hours in the field. (These hours are selected to fit with your schedule).
- Available to attend a 1-2 day weekend retreat at the beginning of each semester.
Interested students must submit a COVER LETTER and RESUME to the Volunteer & Service Center by email email@example.com or in person at Titan Student Union, Room 2. If there are positions available, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the Coordinator. Applicants are hired prior to each semester. Apply early as spaces fill quickly.
To learn more about the projects you can coordinate, please visit our VSC Projects page.
Questions? Contact us at (714) 278-7623, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us in TSU Room 2.