Assistant Professor Tenure-track
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF), invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position to begin Fall 2020. We are searching for outstanding candidates in Civil Engineering; particularly in the area of Water Resources Engineering. Candidates with multi-disciplinary teaching and research interests and those with a passion for undergraduate engineering education are strongly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually-mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental, college, and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of core and elective courses in the discipline and the development of courses in their area(s) of specialization. This person will also be responsible for producing scholarly/creative work commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. CSUF has a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to apply. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Doctorate in Civil Engineering or closely related field prior to the appointment date
- Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field
- Professional registration as a Civil Engineer or ability and willingness to get Professional Engineering (PE) licensure within five years of appointment
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Passion and ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses as well as laboratory courses in Civil Engineering
- Focused research agenda and evidence of high-quality peer reviewed publications within the last three years
- Ability and willingness to promote undergraduate and graduate student success through research, mentorship, advising, co-curricular activities, and other high impact practices
- High potential to develop and pursue an independent externally funded research program involving undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability and willingness to interact effectively with a wide and culturally-diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and community
- Demonstrated potential to enhance and advance experimental capabilities of the water resources engineering laboratory
- University-level teaching experience in Civil Engineering
- Demonstrated potential to pursue externally funded research
- Post-baccalaureate professional work experience in Civil Engineering
A complete online application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to apply for requisition #494248, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover letter in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Current curriculum vita
- Research statement
- This statement provides candidate’s research philosophy, interests, and plans (2 pages maximum).
- Diversity statement
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of the diversity statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas (one page, single-spaced).
- Teaching statement
- This is a statement of the candidate’s teaching philosophy and interests including a list of courses you are willing to teach, and courses you would like to develop (2 pages maximum).
- Undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts (unofficial copies accepted until appointment)
- Transcripts to be uploaded in the document upload section of the application under other documents (single pdf)
- Names and contact information of three references
- On the references page of the application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. In the event that you progress to finalist, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Garrett Struckhoff, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (657) 278-8079.
Review of applications will begin on November 15th, 2019 and will continue until the position has been filled. To ensure full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 15th, 2019.The anticipated appointment date is August 17th, 2020.
The College of Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) is one of only two ABET Accredited engineering programs in Orange County, California. US News & World Report rank ECS as one of the “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs” at schools where a doctorate is not offered. ECS is dedicated to educating and preparing professionals to harness the power and potential of the engineering sciences for the benefit of society. We are home to more than 4,600 talented undergraduate and graduate students and each year we award approximately 1,050 undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering and the computer sciences. For more information about the college, please go to http://www.fullerton.edu/ecs/.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at California State University, Fullerton houses top-ranked academic programs including: Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE), Master of Science in Civil Engineering, and an online Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEnvE). US News and World Report currently ranks the BSCE program in the top ten and the online MSEnvE program 1st in the nation amongst our peers that do not offer doctoral degrees. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to teach within both programs.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Advertised: Pacific Daylight Time