Background Image Caption: “Investment in education is good both for the individual and for society,” -Robert Palmer, Vice President of Student Affairs

Corporate and Foundation Relations

For Grantseekers

Welcome to the Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) page at Cal State Fullerton. The goal of this site is be a starting point for faculty and staff seeking external private funds for their projects.

University Advancement’s mission is to solicit private grants and contributions for CSUF projects and programs. Private funding sources include: individuals, corporations, foundations, special events, trusts, and endowments. Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) focuses on corporate giving programs and charitable foundation grant programs.

Corporate and Foundation Relations functions:

  • Consultation and advice on project presentations to private funders
  • Research for and identification of corporate and foundation prospects
  • Review, assistance, and coordination of proposals and applications
  • Administration of the corporate and foundation prospect clearance process, campus-wide
  • Coordination of funder reviews and site visits
  • Cultivation and stewardship of prospects and funders
  • Information and training for faculty on proposal development

Corporate and Foundation Relations staff works closely with the directors of development for each college and division. Grants and contributions solicited by CFR on behalf of university projects will be administered by the Cal State Fullerton Philanthropic Foundation (CSFPF) or the CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC). CSFPF and ASC are 501(c)(3) nonprofit auxiliary entities of the university. CSFPF manages and administers private (charitable) grants and contributions for projects and programs, endowments, scholarships, and trusts. ASC’s Office of Sponsored Programs is the designated Sponsored Programs Administrator for the university. ASC administers all externally funded (non-charitable) sponsored programs from government and private sources.

How to get private funding for your project:

  • Develop an idea for a project or program
  • Discuss and seek approval from your dean or department chair
  • Write a 1-2 page concept paper describing the project, or use the CFR Project Form, or use existing project materials
  • Email or submit request for assistance to your college or division director of development and CFR
  • Meeting or discussion will be arranged to assess the project and to formulate a strategy

Basic Elements to Include in Project Concept Papers

Choose one of the following methods to request assistance:

  • Use the Project Worksheet (Word Doc) to draft a concept paper and email to CFR
  • Use the CFR Project Form to submit your project information
  • Gather existing project information and send to CFR. Note: If the information is too general or dated, it may be insufficient to get a clear understanding of your current need. It may save time to fill out a new form.

Timing: Sufficient lead time must be provided for all requests for assistance, particularly those with specific deadlines. Please allow a minimum of 2-3 weeks to process requests.

CFR Project Form »
Project Worksheet (Word Doc) »
Useful Links and Resources »
Charitable vs. Non-charitable Projects »

For more information about Corporate and Foundation support, please contact Joan Rubio, Senior Director, Central Development, at 657-278-3947 or