Graduate Studies Center (GSC)
About the GSC
The Graduate Studies Center’s goal is to empower graduate students to utilize the full range of resources and opportunities at CSUF. The GSC aims to serve prospective and current students throughout their journey in graduate school. We provide high-quality writing support with skilled Writing Consultants to support graduate students. The GSC hosts academic and professional development workshops relevant to graduate student needs. We strive to offer a safe and welcoming physical space for students to study, work, and gather while on campus.
Current GSC Hours
The GSC will be closed on Fridays during Summer 2022.
The GSC is located in LH-216 and features individual study desks, group tables, lounge spaces, whiteboards, power outlets, and a small kitchen for CSUF students. Drop by whenever you need some space to work or relax in between classes!
The GSC provides free one-on-one Writing Appointments to all CSUF graduate students. Our skilled Writing Consultants are happy to help you with any writing assignment you encounter in your graduate program. Writing appointments are interactive and collaborative sessions. Remember that Writing Consultants are not editors and cannot make changes to your work.
Please note the following about Writing Appointments:
- Students may make one appointment per week.
- Appointments are set for one hour.
- Appointments can be booked up to two weeks in advance and can fill up quickly, so book well in advance of your assignment due dates.
- Appointments are currently available in the fall and spring semesters.
Private Study Room Reservation
Current graduate students may book the small private study room in the GSC in LH-216. This private room includes a large white board, two desks, and charging outlets. This room can fit a maximum of 3 students. Since we have only one private room, students are limited to booking 1 reservation per day for either one hour or two hours.
Workshops and Events
The GSC is happy to provide workshops and events for prospective and current graduate students. All scheduled upcoming workshops and events are listed below. Note that most workshops are being offered virtually unless otherwise noted.
Upcoming GSC Workshops and Events
1. Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks
- Wednesday, November 16th
- View Recording: Online Here
-Do you have a scholarship deadline coming up? Are you unsure of the etiquette to ask for a letter of recommendation? Do you want to learn more about CSUF’s Graduate Studies funding opportunities? If yes, join us for our virtual workshop on Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks! This workshop will be just in time before the holidays on November 16th, 6-7pm. Register for this Zoom session with the link above.
2. Effective Graduate Writing Workshop
- Monday, October 24th
- Zoom Meeting ID: 893 6952 3058
- This workshop is hosted by the GSC and led by one of our skilled Writing Consultants, Dr. Melissa Lopez. Join us to discuss graduate writing techniques and strategies to help you create organized, concise, and on-topic written pieces. Specifically, Dr. Lopez will go over introductions, thesis statements, topic and conclusion sentences, and use of active voice.
3. Financial Wellness Workshop
- Monday, September 26th
- This workshop is cohosted by the GSC and Basic Needs Services. Stop by to learn more about understanding loans, tips to paying down debt, and setting financial goals!
We are also proud to promote other offerings from our campus partners which you can see listed below.
1. Thesis Retreats hosted by Writing Across the Curriculum - Follow link to register.
- October 7th, 10AM - 1PM.
- November 4th, 10AM - 1PM.
- December 2nd, 10AM - 1PM.
2. Career Development Workshops and Info Sessions hosted by the Career Center - Follow link for full list of scheduled workshops.
3. Graduate School Prep Workshops hosted by Project upGRADS - Follow link for full list of scheduled workshops.
4. Graduate Student Drop-In Group & Listening Space hosted by CAPS .
- Every other Tuesday September 6 - December 13
- 1 - 1:50PM
- SHCC-E Conference Room (Next to Student Wellness)
New Graduate Student Orientation
Congratulations to our newly admitted graduate students! We hosted a New Graduate Student Orientation Webinar on August 2, 2022 to introduce CSUF campus resources to our new Titans. Below you can find all resources from this Orientation.
If you have any additional questions about this Orientation, please reach out to the Graduate Studies Center at email@example.com.