Curricular Practical Training For F-1 Students Only
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization or permission for F-1 students pursuing a degree, or credential program, to work before graduation in a short-term paid and unpaid internship position, which is directly related to an academic course or program.
An F-1 student is eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training if he or she meets all of the following requirements:
- Must be in F-1 status at the time CPT is approved.
- Must be full-time enrolled at least one academic year.
- Transfer Students (from U.S. university or college): Must have completed one semester at CSUF and have an F-1 visa
- Must have an unexpired passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
- Must be maintaining F-1 status
- Must be in good academic standing
- Not on academic probation
- Not on administrative probation
- Not on graduate probation
Application Procedure for CICE Academic Internships
- Find an internship position.
- Complete and print Center for Internships & Community Engagement's (CICE) online application form at www.fullerton.edu/cice.
- Obtain approval and signature from CICE.
- Obtain Major Department's Faculty Internship Coordinator's approval and signature.
- Enroll in appropriate internship course as determined by CICE or your department.
Important Reminder: Please be aware of enrollment deadlines.
- Read the CPT handout and complete Page 3 - CICE Academic Internships: Curricular Practical Training Request form. Submit this form and CICE paperwork to International Students & Scholars Office (UH 244). You will be contacted by ISS to pick up your new I-20 with CPT work authorization in 7-10 business days.
Application Procedure for non-CICE Internships
- Find an internship position.
- Read CPT handout and complete Page 5 - Non-CICE Internships: Curricular Practical Training Request form.
- Obtain Academic Advisor's approval and signature.
- Enroll in appropriate course as determined by the academic advisor.
- Submit all paperwork: CPT request form, signed job or internship offer letter, proof of course enrollment, Study Plan (graduate) or Titan Degree Audit (undergraduate) to International Students & Scholars Office, UH 244. You will be contacted by ISS to pick up your new I-20 with CPT work authorization in 7-10 business days.
Deadline to apply for CPT: Last add/drop date (with late fee) of current semester. Please check the online Registration Guide for the actual date. You cannot begin the internship until you have received the new I-20 with CPT authorization and CPT start date has begun.
Length of CPT
- CPT is authorized for a semester or a term (such as Summer).
- Example: Start first day of semester, end last day of semester.
- Students requesting CPT for another semester must go through application process again (including enrollment in an internship course for next semester).
Hours of CPT
|Part-time CPT||Less than or equal to 20 hours per week for Fall and Spring semesters.|
|Full-time CPT||More than 20 hours per week (21-40 hours per week).|
|During intersession & summer or in student's final semester, full-time CPT is allowed (more than 20 hours per week).|
Caution: If you work a cumulative total of 12 months of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT), you will not be eligible to apply for Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Once you submit the required application form to the International Students & Scholars Office (in UH 244), you will be given a new I-20. CPT Work Authorization is noted on page 3 of your new I-20, including the name of the internship organization and address of your internship site.
This is the only form of work authorization you will receive from the International Students & Scholars Office.
- Internships CANNOT be authorized the same day you see an Advisor or even one day before you start your internship.
- UNPAID academic internships require CPT and registration in the internship course.
Revised — May 2016