Your browser does not support javascript execution. Please enable the javascript for a better view.

California State University, Fullerton

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply to CSUF?
Please visit the Admisions and Records website to find out about the application process, admission criteria, application form and application deadlines.

What happens after I submit my application?
Your application will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions & Records. If you are applying for a Master's Degree program, your application will also be evaluated by your major department. If you are admitted to CSUF, the International Students & Scholars Office will issue an I-20 form to you.

What is the minimum TOEFL score that I need to get admitted to CSUF?
Please refer to the TOEFL Information provided by the Office of Admissions & Records in regards to TOEFL scores.

What is an I-20?
An I-20 is an immigration document that you will need to apply for your student (F-1) visa.

How long does the whole process take?
The evaluation process usually takes 4-6 weeks. For Master's Degree Program, it may take longer, so please consult with your department.

Do I need to get an F-1 visa to apply for admissions?
For students who are applying from their home country, you must apply for an F-1 student visa after you receive your I-20. Please click here for visa application information.

Am I eligible for financial aid?
No. As an international student, you are not eligible to apply for federal financial aid. However, you can apply for scholarships and loans.

What is the estimated cost to attend CSUF?
The following is an estimated budget for education and living expenses for F-1 international students for one academic year and is subject to change without notice. For complete financial information, please visit the Student Financial Services website.

Amount for Undergrad Amount for Credential Amount for Graduate Amount for Business Graduate1 Amount for Doctorate
Non-Resident Tuition Fees at $372 per unit as of Fall 2011 $8,9282 $6,6963 $6,6964 $6,696 $5,9525
Registration and Tuition Fees as of Fall 2011 $6,182 $7,058 $7,448 $7,448 $11,828
Professional Program Fees at $254 per unit*       $4,572*  
Living expenses including room & board (variable) $16,612 $16,612 $16,612 $16,612 $16,612
Books and supplies (variable) $1,720 $1,720 $1,720 $1,720 $1,720
Student health insurance $871 $871 $871 $871 $871
Total Required On I-20 $34,313 $32,957 $33,347 $37,919 $36,983
  • 1 Business Graduate includes MBA, Masters in Accountancy, Health Care Management, Business & Technology, Information System, and Taxation.
  • 2 Undergraduate students must take a minimum of 12 units per semester.
  • 3 Credential students must take a minimum of 9 units per semester.
  • 4 Graduate students must take a minimum of 9 units per semester. (Some graduate students exempted)
  • 5 Doctorate students must take a minimum of 8 units per semester.
  • * Graduate Business Professional (GBP) Fees

Back to top

Health Insurance

Is Health Insurance Required?
Yes, health insurance is mandatory. Health insurance is required because medical care is very expensive in the United States. The California State University (CSU) system requires that every international student show proof of health insurance that meets CSU requirements. Large medical bills can cause family financial ruin if you do not have health insurance. The CSU requirements were established to protect you while you are attending school. All F-1 and J-1 students are required to purchase the CSUF health insurance policy offered through Wells Fargo Student Services. Only students with full government sponsorships for tuition fees, health insurance, living expenses and other incidentals may be exempted.

When is the earliest date that I should register for health insurance? And how?
As soon as you receive notice on your web portal that registration is available, you MUST purchase health insurance immediately so that you can register in classes within your registration window period.

You may purchase health insurance on line at Please do not wait till you arrive in the U.S. to purchase health insurance. You can do it from your home country.

What about dental coverage?
Optional dental coverage is available to international students under the age of 50, and may only be purchased in conjunction with the CSU Health Link Plan for International Students. The health insurance plan does not include vision care.

Back to top

Off-Campus Housing

What kinds of accommodation are available off campus?
Apartments are available within walking or "commuting distance" (can be reached by automobile or public transportation) from the campus. The Housing and Residence Life office keeps a list of available apartments, rooms and persons looking for roommates.

Is it difficult to find housing in an apartment near the campus?
It is very difficult and quite expensive. Nearly 100% of the apartments in the area of the university are occupied, and openings are few. Because of the great demand for housing, the cost is quite high as well. The "Orange County" area of Southern California is one of the highest housing cost areas in the U.S. Other than the Cal State Fullerton campus residence hall, University Village, and Hope International University, there is no special "student-only" housing area in the area of the university.

How much will I pay for an apartment?
The prices vary depending on location and the type of room you wish to rent. However, be prepared to pay up to two months' rent before moving in – one month rent in advance and a one-month "security deposit". Deposits may also be required to establish electrical and phone service.

Can I make a reservation in advance for an apartment?
Unfortunately, no reservations for off-campus housing can be made before you arrive. We recommend that you visit this office at least 2 weeks before classes begin if you are attempting to locate rental housing.

How can the International Office help me find housing?
We refer you to two resources:

  1. Privately-owned dormitories close to the campus at Fullerton University Village.
    2000 Oxford Ave
    Fullerton, CA 92831
    Tel: 657-870-8202
    Fax: 657-870-7840
  2. Outside our office we have a classified board, which lists individuals looking for roommates or people who want to rent out their rooms. So plan to arrive early and look for these listings.

Note: Fullerton university Village as well as other private apartments listed on the bulletin board are not affiliated with Cal State Fullerton and the University assumes no responsibility for the quality or conditions of your accommodations. We advise you to shop very carefully for the kind of housing which meets your needs. When renting a room or apartment in the U.S., you are expected to sign a legal document (called a "lease") before you move in. This contract is binding for both parties (you, as the lessee, and the landlord/landlady), and you are expected to understand the meaning of the contract. We are not responsible for any legal agreements or contracts that you may have to sign before you lease the rooms.

Back to top

Transportation to CSUF

Will anyone pick me up from the airport?
Unfortunately, we do not have the means to provide transportation from the airport. However, you will be able to arrange for public transportation from the airport to the Fullerton Marriott Hotel which is located next to the campus grounds.

How do I get transportation from the airport to Fullerton?
If you arrive at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), you will be traveling about 40 miles southeast to get to Fullerton which is located in Orange County. DO NOT take taxi or cab as it will be very expensive.

We recommend that you take the "Super Shuttle" passenger van service. These bright blue and yellow vans with the words "Super Shuttle" painted on the side will take you directly from the airport to your destination in Orange County. From LAX to the Fullerton Marriot Hotel, the fare is $30* for the first person and $9 per extra person. No reservations are required from LAX.

How do I contact Super Shuttle?
Use the free Airport Transportation telephone in the airport baggage claim area and tell them you want to go to Fullerton Marriott Hotel.

If I am not flying in from LAX, what should I do?
Similar "Super Shuttle" services are available from other airports that serve the Orange County area. The John Wayne Orange County Airport is about 18 miles from the campus. Ontario Airport is about 35 miles from the campus.

Back to top

Revised — June 2015