Your browser does not support javascript execution. Please enable the javascript for a better view.

California State University, Fullerton


Transferring to Another School

After studying at Cal State Fullerton, or after being on approved Optional Practical Training, you may decide to study either at another school or at another education program. In either situation, it is important to discuss your plans with an Internatinoal Student Advisor in order to find out the following:

  • Eligibility for transfer
  • deadlines to remember
  • documents needed
  • length of stay in the US before classes at new school begin
  • travel outside the US

You are eligible to transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period [8CFR 214.2(f)(5)(iv)]. The following are examples of 2 different transfer situations:

Attending Another School After Studying at Cal State Fullerton If you are currently studying at Cal State Fullerton and wish to attend another school in the next term, please meet with an Internatinoal Student Advisor before the end of your last semester at Cal State Fullerton to discuss the transfer of your F-1 records to the new school. Without this step, you will not be able to receive a new I-20 from your new school.

Also, you are permitted to remain in the U.S. only if you begin classes at the new school within 5 months of transferring out from Cal State Fullerton.
Transferring Out While On Approved Optional Practical Training If you are currently on approved Optional Practical Training and plan to return to studying in a new education program (certificate program, master's degree or higher degree), please meet with an Internatinoal Student Advisor BEFORE your OPT period ends. According to immigration regulations [8CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii)(B)], your OPT will end once you begin studies in a new education program. So, please meet with an Internatinoal Student advisor regarding your plans following your OPT period.

Transfer Into CSUF

For students who have attended another college/university in the United States, already have a SEVIS I-20 issued by that U.S. school, and will be attending Cal State Fullerton full-time to start a new academic program, please review the following information carefully:

  • Notify your previous school to transfer your SEVIS record to California State University, Fullerton — LOS214F00210000.
  • If your previous school has failed to "release" you from their program, the SEVIS system will not permit us to prepare your SEVIS I-20.
  • If you are traveling, you must inform us before you leave the United States. You must use the SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 from Cal State Fullerton when you arrive at a U.S. airport. If you use your previous school's I-20, you will be considered out of status.
  • If you have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp, you do no have to go to the U.S. Embassy to obtain a new visa, even though the school indicated on the visa page is a different school.
  • If you have failed to maintain status at your previous school, you must schedule an appointment with an advisor at the International Students & Scholars Office to discuss your situation.

Students on Approved OPT Transferring to CSUF

For students who are starting a new degree program and are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT), please be advised that once you receive the new I-20 from Cal State Fullerton, your OPT will be voided and you will no longer be allowed to continue working. If you have any concerns or questions regarding this, please bring your I-20 and OPT card (or Employment Authorization Document) to our office and discuss your situation with an advisor.

CSUF American Language Program Students Beginning Degree Program

If you are a student who studied at the American Language Program (ALP) at Cal State Fullerton-Extended Education, and will be starting your degree program at Cal State Fullerton, you will be receiving a new I-20 from the International Students & Scholars Office.

Revised — June 2015

Back to top