Transferring to Another School
After studying at Cal State Fullerton, or after being on approved Optional Practical Training, you may decide to study either at another school or at another education program. In either situation, it is important to discuss your plans with an IEE Advisor in order to find out the following:
- Eligibility for transfer
- deadlines to remember
- documents needed
- length of stay in the US before classes at new school begin
- travel outside the US
You are eligible to transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period [8CFR 214.2(f)(5)(iv)]. The following are examples of 2 different transfer situations:
|Attending Another School After Studying at Cal State Fullerton||If you are currently studying at Cal State Fullerton and wish to attend another school in the next term, please meet with an IEE Advisor before the end of your last semester at Cal State Fullerton to discuss the transfer of your F-1 records to the new school. Without this step, you will not be able to receive a new I-20 from your new school.
Also, you are permitted to remain in the U.S. only if you begin classes at the new school within 5 months of transferring out from Cal State Fullerton.
|Transferring Out While On Approved Optional Practical Training||If you are currently on approved Optional Practical Training and plan to return to studying in a new education program (certificate program, master's degree or higher degree), please meet with an IEE Advisor BEFORE your OPT period ends. According to immigration regulations [8CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii)(B)], your OPT will end once you begin studies in a new education program. So, please meet with an IEE advisor regarding your plans following your OPT period.|
Transfer Into CSUF
For students who have attended another college/university in the United States, already have a SEVIS I-20 issued by that U.S. school, and will be attending Cal State Fullerton full-time to start a new academic program, please review the following information carefully:
- Notify your previous school to transfer your SEVIS record to California State University, Fullerton — LOS214F00210000. Your school may require you to fill out the Transfer Release Form in order to transfer your SEVIS record to Cal State Fullerton.
- If your previous school has failed to "release" you from their program, the SEVIS system will not permit us to prepare your SEVIS I-20.
- If you are traveling, you must inform us before you leave the United States. You must use the SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 from Cal State Fullerton when you arrive at a U.S. airport. If you use your previous school's I-20, you will be considered out of status.
- If you have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp, you do no have to go to the U.S. Embassy to obtain a new visa, even though the school indicated on the visa page is a different school.
- If you have failed to maintain status at your previous school, you must schedule an appointment with an advisor at the IEE Office to discuss your situation.
Students on Approved OPT Transferring to CSUF
For students who are starting a new degree program and are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT), please be advised that once you receive the new I-20 from Cal State Fullerton, your OPT will be voided and you will no longer be allowed to continue working. If you have any concerns or questions regarding this, please bring your I-20 and OPT card (or Employment Authorization Document) to our office and discuss your situation with an advisor.
CSUF American Language Program Students Beginning Degree Program
If you are a student who studied at the American Language Program (ALP) at Cal State Fullerton-Extended Education, and will be starting your degree program at Cal State Fullerton, you do not need to complete a Transfer Release Form. However, in some cases you may be receiving a new I-20 from the IEE Office. If you are not sure what to do, please bring your I-20 to our office for advice.
Revised — August 2011