Frequently Asked Questions
What is CourseSmart?
What is Faculty Instant Access (FIA)?
Why would I need FIA from CourseSmart?
How do I get the eTextbooks?
What do the eTextbooks from CourseSmart look like?
Do I have to be online to read my eTextbook?
Can I access my eTextbooks from my iPad?
What if I have trouble?
Can my students purchase eTextbooks from CourseSmart?
CourseSmart is the world's largest provider of digital course materials. The CourseSmart catalog includes over 90% of the core textbooks in use today in North American Higher Education as eTextbooks, from leading publishers including Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, Cengage Learning, John Wiley & Sons, McGraw-Hill Education and Pearson...plus several others.
CourseSmart's comprehensive selection gives you a new way to find and access exactly the course material you need in one place. Enjoy the benefits of anytime, anywhere access to important course materials at the click of a mouse from any web browser and on many popular devices (including the Android, iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch).
CourseSmart’s new Faculty Instant Access program now makes it even easier to access the world’s largest selection of eTextbooks. As a CSU, Fullerton faculty member, you now have instant online access to textbooks as eTextbooks in every major course area—at your faculty portal, my.fullerton.edu.
With an ever-growing library of more than 20,000 titles from multiple publishers in every course area, you get the textbooks you need as eTextbooks. Instant access to your textbooks online means no shipping, less printing and no waste, saving you time and the earth’s precious resources. Find the most relevant content, when you need it; you can search your texts as easily as you would search the internet. And with Faculty Instant Access, all it takes is an internet connection to access your teaching resources anytime, anywhere.
(2) After you submit your profile, you are put through to the CourseSmart Bookshelf. After your initial visit, you will land at the bookshelf immediately. The bookshelf includes a top-level search that allows you to browse the entire CS catalog by discipline, and find all the appropriate titles for your course.
(3) To begin searching our catalog of over 20,000 titles, you can search on key word, title, author, or ISBN. The search in the illustration below was by title (Intermediate Accounting) and author (Kieso).
(4) You can also do a comparative, topic search on your Bookshelf, once you have added titles. Searching all of the eTextbooks on your bookshelf by topic provides a quick, efficient way to start your textbook selection process, and find the text that is most appropriate for your course.
(5) When you have found a title you would like to see, click on the “Add to My Bookshelf” green button. You will be taken to the “Get Instant Access” form to complete. Once you have clicked the “Add to My Bookshelf” you will find the title waiting for you there.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks, you have the same capabilities you have with a print book: highlighting, note-taking, plus so much more. You will find all the reader functionality on the top row of buttons. The CourseSmart reader also lets you zoom in on text, add notes, email notes to your students with a link to the reference point in the text, and print pages as you need them. (You can print for personal use, 10 pages at a time and up to 150% of the length of the book.
And, all CourseSmart eTextbooks maintain page fidelity with their print counterparts– page 128 in the print book is also “p. 128” in the eTextbok. This way, if you are using the eTextbook and your students are using the print, or if you have some students using print and some using eTextbooks, you will all be on “the same page.” Notice the “Go to” button on the top. You can always enter a page number there and quickly move around the eTextbook.
Not anymore! You can read selected, cached chapters through your Firefox browser offline. Just follow these steps:
- From your CourseSmart bookshelf, select the desired eTextbook.
- Click the button to enable offline access.
- Select up to three chapters, or sections/ parts, at a time to "check out" and make available for offline use. This task can be repeated multiple times and the entire eTextbook can be made available for offline access, if desired.
- Once the chapters are successfully made available for offline use, you can access your chapters in your internet browser (Firefox 3.6+) - even while offline.
- The offline Reader supports key features like notes, highlights, copy, and searching the current page.
Yes. You will need to take on extra initial step though—signing on with a password.
Because CSU, Fullerton is participating in the Faculty Instant Access Program (FIA) from CourseSmart, logging in to the faculty portal (your University Single Sign-On) also gives you access to your CourseSmart account. Clicking on the CourseSmart link within the faculty portal will automatically allow you access to your digital Bookshelf, without a separate log-in.
But, to access your account through other means—either going directly to www.coursesmart.com or through the iPad app—you will need to define a new password for use outside your portal. This new password can match your existing password, but it is not required. After you access your Bookshelf for the first time, follow the steps for “Forgot your Password” on www.coursesmart.com to have your password reset. Once you receive your reset password, use it on the iPad app.
Step-by-step instructions are available for key features at http://support.coursesmart.com/or by following the help link in CourseSmart’s Bookshelf or Reader. CourseSmart Customer Service specialists are available 24/7/365 via phone, email or online chat athttp://support.coursesmart.com/ or 866-588-3197
Yes. Over 90% of the textbooks used in higher ed classrooms in North America are available as eTextbooks at CourseSmart. And the eTextbooks cost, on average, 50% less than new print books.