Eligibility Checklist for the McNair Scholars Program/McNair Prep Academy
- Goal of attending graduate school, particularly a Ph.D. program
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA / 3.2 major GPA
- Junior (for McNair Scholars) or Sophomore (for McNair Prep Academy) status
- Low-income background and first generation college student
- From a racial or ethnic group underrepresented in graduate education
APPLYING FOR McNAIR SCHOLARS/MCNAIR PREP ACADEMY
Applications are available for download at the end of this webpage.
Determining Low-Income Status
Please review the following table to determine if you meet the qualifications for low-income status.
|Size of Family Unit||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
Determining First Generation College Student Status
First-generation college student is defined by the federal government as a student who has not resided with or received primary support from a parent who has received a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Determining Underrepresented Status
According to the federal government, the following ethnic and racial groups are considered underrepresented in graduate education: Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native, and Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.