Department of Chemistrry & Biochemistry Advising
Welcome to CSUF and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics Class of 2026! We are excited you will be joining us this Fall. We want to make sure you start off on a successful path from the beginning of your academic career which starts now!
There are FOUR “to do’s” we want you to address RIGHT NOW to help prepare you for registering for Fall 2022 classes starting as early as June 23, 2022!
1) Attend our DEPARTMENT orientation on July 11, 12, 18, or 19
- In our informational orientation, we will
- have a short presentation about what it means to be a Chemistry or Biochemistry major
- check your current schedule if you have registered for your Fall 2022 classes
- help you determine which classes you should take AND help you register if you have NOT registered for your Fall 2022 classes
- be available to answer an questions you may have!
2) Complete your CHEMISTRY ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) Chemistry Initial Knowledge Check to determine general chemistry readiness. To enroll in General Chemistry I (CHEM 120A), students must:
- qualify as “general chemistry ready” by passing the “initial knowledge check” for ALEKS
- complete the appropriate remediation prior to the start of the semester to become “general chemistry ready”
- Seats are being held in CHEM 120A for you NOW but will be open to ALL students starting July 12! Act soon! Take the CPE and sign up for your chemistry course!
3) Complete your online orientation AND your general education modules (http://www.fullerton.edu/orientation/new‐student/index.php)
- To register for Fall 2022 classes, you must complete your online orientation and general education (GE) modules or attend an in person orientation session.
- The online orientation and GE modules will be available starting June 1, 2022
4) Complete your MATHEMATICS ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) (https://www.fullerton.edu/math/resources/aleks.php)
- To enroll in Calculus I (MATH 150A), students must qualify as “calculus ready” through completion of ALEKS
- It will take a MINIMUM of 7 days to complete the MATHEMATICS ALEKS assessment because there are FOUR assessments which can each be taken every 48 hours (2 days)
- It is recommended that you complete the 4th (and final) MATHEMATICS ALEKS assessment one week before your orientation date
- The MATHEMATICS ALEKS assessments will be available starting June 1, 2022
- You should receive your MATHEMATICS ALEKS Placement Assessment information directly from CSUF enrollment services if you are qualified for the test. After you receive the test information, you may log into the ALEKS test site by clicking on the ALEKS icon or link on your CSUF student portal. Once logged into the portal, search on the left menu under “more apps” or enter ALEKS in the search box.
- More information on the ALEKS placement assessments can be found here (https://www.fullerton.edu/math/resources/aleks.php)
If you have any questions before we meet for orientation, please feel free to email our Chem advising email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, major, and campus wide ID (CWID – 9 digit number) in the email with your question(s). This information will also be available on the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry CANVAS site.