NSM Student Success Center
NSM Student Success Center Tutoring
The NSM Student Success Center Tutoring is operated by the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. We offer peer tutoring that is one-on-one course-based tutoring by appointment. We are here to help you succeed in your science and math courses. Contact: email@example.com
We offer tutoring for Biology (BIOL), Chemistry (CHEM), Geology (GEOL), Mathematics (MATH), and Physics (PHYS) courses. Please see full list below.
Peer Tutoring is now online!
Making an appointment is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
Click here for the NSM Student Success Tutoring Appointment Guide: NSM Tutoring Guide
Please keep in mind the following points when meeting with a tutor:
- Teaching and tutoring are two different things. The tutor will explain a key point that the tutee has not been introduced to by keeping the explanation clear, minimal and to the point.
- Tutors will provide an opportunity for the tutee to find and use available resources. This will mean the tutee's textbook, lecture notes, past tests, previous examples, etc.
- Tutors will listen very carefully. Is the tutee grasping the concept? Can they explain it easily, or does it take some effort?
- The tutors are trained to first ask questions of the tutee in order to understand what part of the learning process difficulty may be occurring. They then ask more questions to help guide the student through these difficulties.
- Tutors will offer tips and advice to support the student's learning throughout the session.
- The goal of the tutor is not to give tutees the answers, but to help students to think through their difficulties successfully and independently.
- A few minutes will be set aside at the end of each session for the tutee to summarize what has been accomplished. This not only helps tutors confirm that the tutee understands all that was covered, but also helps the tutee to review new concepts.