Chemistry Placement Exam for Fall 2018 Enrollment

CHEM 120A Enrollment Requirements:
All students planning to enroll in Chemistry 120A General Chemistry are required to take the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE) or have completed Chemistry 115: Introduction to General Chemistry or its equivalent, verified with an official transcript, with a grade of C or higher. In addition, all students enrolling in Chemistry 120A must be exempt from or have passed the Entry Level Mathematics (ELM). You must meet these prerequisites to be eligible to enroll in CHEM 120A.

CPE Description:
The CPE may be taken only once a year. Test scores are valid for three consecutive semesters. You will have 45 minutes to complete the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE). The CPE consists of 44 multiple-choice questions addressing basic concepts in arithmetic, algebra and high school chemistry. In scoring the test, only correct answers will be counted. A Periodic Table of elements and a table of abbreviations and symbols are provided in the test book. You may need them for some questions. All other data are given in the questions. Calculators are permitted but not essential. Cell phones are NOT allowed.

BRING number 2 pencils with erasers and a nonprogrammable calculator to the test session.

CPE Results:
Test results will be sent by email and posted outside the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, located in McCarthy Hall - room 580, approximately one week after the test. The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry will not give scores over the telephone.

CPE Exemptions:

CHEM 115 Equivalent -
To be exempt from the CPE, students must have completed Chemistry 115: Introduction to General Chemistry or its equivalent with a grade of C or higher. If you have taken an equivalent chemistry course at another college, you must submit a copy of your transcript that displays the course grade earned and a course description from the college catalog to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry prior to enrolling in Chemistry 120A: General Chemistry.

AP Chemistry Exemption -
Students who pass the AP Chemistry exam with a score of 3 or greater are eligible to enroll in CHEM 120A. Students who earn a score of 4 or greater on the AP Chemistry exam will be considered for enrollment in CHEM 120B. Students who want to establish their eligibility for CHEM 120A or 120B and have taken the AP exam, should bring evidence of AP Chemistry exam scores to the Chemistry Department in MH 580.

Students may only take CPE ONCE per semester. If you would like to take the CPE test on Saturday, you may sign up for the CPE Test Date offered by the University Testing Center (

There is no charge for the exam. Pre-registration is required for CPE. Use the link below to pre-register for a CPE session administered by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Pre-register now - by clicking here!