AS Approved 3-15-07
Members Present: Altar, Alva, Arnold,
Buck, Burgtorf, Drezner, Fidalgo, Fitch, Fromson, Guerin, Hagan, Hassan,
Absent: Bedell, Bruschke, Dabirian, Gordon, Klassen,
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Guerin called the meeting to order at
II. URGENT BUSINESS
Senator Hassan wished to bring forth an item of urgent business, but agreed holding the item until the next Senate meeting so that President Gordon could respond.
announced the passing of Gustave Mathieu, professor
and founding chair of the Foreign Languages and Literatures department on
Senator Nanjundappa stated that the final meeting between CSU, CFA, and the fact-finder will be held on Wednesday, February 28, 2007. After this meeting, the fact-finder will make a recommendation.
Senator Nanjundappa also commented that preparations for a possible strike are moving along well on all 23 campuses.
Senator Alva announced
IV. CONSENT CALENDAR
M/S/P [Burgtorf/Fromson] to approve the consent calendar as amended. [Approved unanimously]
4.1 ASD 07-18 Rescind UPS 508.100 Policy on the Disposition of Hard Copy Periodicals [Library Committee]
4.2 Nominees to Standing Committees
· Amendment to Campus Facilities and Beautification Committee: Change “Forthcoming” to “Bill Hoese” (CSNM)
FACULTY AFFAIRS Committee
Nominee: Alfonzo Agnew (CNSM)
Continuing: Sharon Seidman (HHD); Karen
Campus facilities and beautification
Forthcoming Bill Hoese (CNSM)
Continuing: Maria Grant (EDUC); Kurt Kitselman (COMM); M. Prasado Rao (ECS);
Ellen Junn (HHD); Jade Jewett (ARTS); Craig Ihara (HUM); Gerry Grant (CBE)
V. TIME CERTAIN
Subject: ASD 07-19 Revised UPS 210.000 (Section III: Documentation Submitted by the Faculty Member)
Section III. A
M/S/P [Fromson/Nanjundappa] to approve as submitted. [Approved unanimously]
Section III. B.
M/S/P [Nanjundappa/Drezner] to approve as edited. [Approved with two abstentions]:
· Page 1, line 32 (Section III.B.1): M/S/P [Drezner/Kanel]: Add “the submission of the file for promotion” after “the period since”. [Approved with 1 abstention]
· Page 1, line 38 (Section III.B.3): M/S/P [Alva/Hewitt]: Delete “their most” [Approved with 2 abstentions]
· Page 2, line 28 (Section III.B.4.g): Friendly amendment [Dean Klammer]: Change “Teaching Assignments” to “Courses Taught”
· Page 2, line 28: Friendly amendment [Hewitt]: Change “Courses” to “Classes”
· Page 2, line 32 (Section III.B.4.h): Friendly amendment [Alva]: Change to read “A blank copy of the Student Rating of Instruction Form(s)”
· Page 3, line 20 (Section III.B.5.a.3): M/S/P [Fitch/Taylor] to insert “Ordinarily” after “Sample syllabi and coursework:”
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT
Last Friday, the PRBC unanimously approved a recommendation in the spirit of the resolution that the Academic Senate passed in response to the audit report last fall. The resolution encouraged the PRBC to recommend allocating 50% of the lottery fund directly to departments. Half of $5.8 million has been recommended to be distributed directly to departments. This resolution has been sent to President Gordon.
In response to a question posed by Senator Shapiro and a request by Senator Hassan, Chair Guerin stated that she will follow up on the Academic Senate’s recommendation for the that President Gordon provide an explanation of the campus response to the Special Investigation Report 04-01.
VII. STATEWIDE ACADEMIC SENATE REPORT
VIII. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Discussion resumed on ASD 06-207 CFA Fullerton Chapter Board Resolution on Laptop Computers for Part-Time Faculty:
M/S/F [Fromson/Pasternack] to change the end of the first resolve to read “who teach nine units or more per semester with three year entitlement contracts.”
· [Hand vote: 16 Ayes/17 Nays/1 Abstention] – Motion failed.
M/S/P [Williams/Nanjundappa] to approve ASD 06-207 CFA Fullerton Chapter Board Resolution on Laptop Computers for Part-Time Faculty as amended.
· With consent of at least 20% of the body, a roll call vote was taken. The motion passed with 22 Ayes/ 7 Nays/ 6 Abstentions:
Ayes: Arnold, Buck, Fidalgo,
Guerin, Hassan, Hewitt, Jones,
Nays: Altar, Drezner, Hagan, Palmer, Rumberger, Smith, Spitzer
Abstentions: Alva, Burgtorf, Fitch, Fromson, Junn, Mead
IX. NEW BUSINESS
Items 9.1 – 9.3 were not discussed due to lack of time.
9.1 ASD 07-08 Proposed UPS on SRI [FAC]
9.2 ASD 07-09 Revised UPS 300.040 Academic Standards for Postbaccalaureate Students [ASC]
9.3 ASD 07-17 Revised UPS 508.000 Policy on Return or Replacement of Library Materials [Library Committee]
Meeting adjourned at 1:01 p.m.