March 22, 2007
Members Present: Alva, Buck, Burgtorf,
Fromson, Gordon, Guerin, Hagan, Hassan, Hewitt, Holland,
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Guerin called the meeting to order at 11:31 a.m.
II. URGENT BUSINESS
Senator Fitch announced that the Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society is having a book sale today to raise funds in support of the various publications the group produces and the conferences the members attend. Paperbacks are being sold for $1. She invited all to support this good cause.
Chair Guerin reported on
the excellent outcome of Access to Excellence event held on campus yesterday. There
were over 280 people in attendance. She thanked all of the Senators who
participated. AVP Ray Young is currently completing our campus report. We have
a delegation that will represent our campus at the system-wide Access to
Excellence Summit meeting in
· Another campus-wide conversation sponsored by the University Planning Committee will take place on Thursday, April 5, 2007, 8:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and address “Complexities of Growth”.
Chair Guerin encouraged Senators to submit committee interest forms (online) and encourage colleagues to complete it as well.
She also reminded the body that nomination forms for the CSU Statewide Academic Senate seat are due tomorrow in the Academic Senate office (MH-143).
Senator Shapiro noted that the consultant to CalPers has recommended a substantial increase in co-pays for health plans in the coming year.
IV. TIME CERTAIN
Subject: ASD 07-37 Revised UPS 210.000 (Section I: Definitions and Section II: Faculty Personnel Standards) [Source: FPC 2005-2006]
Time: 11:45 a.m.
· Page 6, lines 310-311 (Section 10): M/S/P [Burgtorf/Fitch] to insert:
10. Faculty on Personal or Medical Leave
Faculty members may be granted a personal leave of absence for sick leave, parental leave, or other purposes of a personal nature. Faculty members on personal leave normally shall not accrue service credit toward probation, sabbatical, or difference-in-pay leaves, service salary increase eligibility or seniority (in effect, stopping the “tenure clock”) for that review cycle. However, faculty members on such leave may remain in the review cycle if they submit a Portfolio by the date it is due.
· Page 3, lines 119-125 (Section II.B.1.a): M/S/F to remove lines 119-125.
Note: Since we did not delete these lines, we should correct the language reference to section IV B-E.
· Page 3, line 125 (Section II.B.1.a): M/S/P [Spitzer/Hewitt] add in bold and underlined “b-g: Specific criteria for teaching”
· Friendly amendment [Pasternack] change format to “b. Specific Criteria for Teaching” and list items 1-6.
· Page 3, lines 120-121 (Section II.B.1.a): M/S/P [Alva/Kanel] delete “Each department shall state in its standards the appropriate indicators of contributions to student learning consistent with section IV. B-E of this document.” Change the following sentence to read “Approved Departmental Standards shall address peer evaluation of pedagogical…”
· Page 5, lines 196, 197, and 223 (Section II.B.2.a): Friendly amendments [Kantardjieff]:
· Add “b. Specific Criteria” (line 196)
· Change “b.” to “1.” (line 197)
· Change “b.” to “2.” (line 223)
· Page 6, lines 248 (Section II.B.3.a): Friendly amendment [Kanel]: Delete “Each department shall state in its standards” and add “Approved Departmental Standards shall address”.
· Page 6, line 250 (Section II.B.3.a): Friendly amendment [Kanel]: Delete “In the Portfolio and Appendices, (see section III.B. or D or E, as appropriate).
· Page 2, line 73 (section II.A.4.b.): Amendment not friendly [Dr. Lippa]; M/S/P [Rhoten/Alva] with one abstention to add to the end of section b “When weaknesses have been identified in earlier review cycles, a candidate for tenure is expected to have addressed these weaknesses explicitly and to have shown appropriate improvement” and change as amended:
· Amendment not friendly [Drezner]; M/S/P [Drezner/Buck] to change “When weaknesses have been identified” to “When concerns have been expressed”
V. CHAIR’S REPORT
The Executive Committee met with Willem van der Pol, Director, Physical Plant, to discuss a number of upcoming energy projects related to energy conservation and renewal of the campus infrastructure over the next three years. (Please contact Chair Guerin if interested in inviting Willem van der Pol to a future Academic Senate meeting to discuss the projects.)
The Executive Committee also spoke with Senator Dabirian about the opportunity to acquire automated response clickers for the Academic Senate. She invited him to explain the various voting features of the responders and encouraged comments from the Senators. CSU Channel Islands uses responders. Chair Guerin will contact the Academic Senate Chair of that campus to discuss use of the responders during their Senate meetings.
We have six more Senate meetings scheduled for the 2006-2007 academic year. Chair Guerin asked liaisons and committee members to remind committee chairs to forward work that the committees would like the Senate to review this year. A reminder will be sent to committee chairs from Chair Guerin.
Chair Guerin has requested meetings with the administration asked the Executive Committee to work on putting together a campus dialogue on the topic of “collegial relations during job actions”. Other campuses have had conversations on this topic. It may be an effective preventative measure, in light of the possible faculty strike.
VI. STATEWIDE ACADEMIC SENATE REPORT
reported that the Statewide Academic Senate Executive Committee attended the
CSU Alumni Legislative Day in
He also attended the meeting of the Alumni Council on Sunday, March 18th, where the Council drafted
a resolution regarding the disagreement between CFA and the CSU. Senator Pasternack stated that he would forward a clean copy of the resolution to Chair Guerin to be distributed to our Senators.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Items 7.1 – 7.4 were not discussed due to lack of time.
7.1 ASD 07-09 Revised UPS 300.040 Academic Standards for Postbaccalaureate Students [ASC]
7.2 ASD 07-17 Revised UPS 508.000 Policy on Return or Replacement of Library Materials [Library Committee]
7.3 ASD 07-27 Resolution: One-Year Trial to Elect Standing and General Committee Chairs in the Spring [Academic Senate Executive Committee]
7.4 ASD 07-38 Revised UPS 210.007 Appointment of Administrative Personnel
[Academic Senate Executive Committee]
Meeting was adjourned at 12:57 p.m.