April 5, 2007
Members Present: Alva, Arnold, Bedell,
Bruschke, Buck, Dabirian, Drezner, Fitch, Fromson, Gordon, Guerin, Hagan,
Absent: Altar, Burgtorf,
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Guerin called the meeting to order at 11:31 a.m.
II. URGENT BUSINESS
M/S/P [Fromson/Pasternack] to approve the following nominees to the General Committees for 2007-2008:
Faculty Personnel Committee
Nominees: Chandra Putcha (ECS); Joanne Gass (HUM); Gerald Gannon (CNSM);
Forthcoming (COMM); Forthcoming (SOC SCI)
Continuing: Laurence Timm (ARTS); Mabel Kung (CBE); Andrea Guillaume (EDUC);
Debbie Rose (HHD)
Professional Leaves Committee
Nominees: Gus Manoochehri (CBE); Kim Norman (EDUC); Reyes Fidalgo (HUM)
Continuing: James Taulli (ARTS), Anthony Fellow (COMM); Bin Cong (ECS); Leslie Grier (HHD); David Drath (CNSM); Bill Haddad (SOC SCI); Susan Tschabrun (Library)
Faculty Research Committee
Nominees: Marc Dickey (ARTS); David Cheng (ECS); Grace Cho (EDUC); Renae Bredin (HUM); Julie Stokes (SOC SCI); Barbara Miller (Library)
Continuing: Irene Lange (CBE); Cynthia King (COMM); Sharon Seidman (HHD);
Chris Meyer (CNSM)
Chair Guerin introduced and welcomed newly elected Senator, Robert L. Sage, to the Academic Senate. She also welcomed Senator Nanjundappa back from his time away due to illness.
Chair Guerin encouraged all to attend Senator Drezner’s Outstanding Professor Lecture on Monday, April 16, 2007 at 11:00 a.m. in the Titan Student Union.
She reminded everyone to vote in the election for the CSU Statewide Senator. The election will take place April 9-12th.
Chair Guerin also thanked everyone who attended the campus forum on the “Complexities of Growth” that took place earlier that morning.
President Gordon has approved the revised UPS 103.005 World Wide Web Policy.
Senator Walicki invited all to attend the recital for Pianist Fureya Unal next Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. in the Recital Hall of the Performing Arts building.
Senator Dabirian notified all that the data center on campus will be shut down this Friday night between 9:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. to replace a part of our emergency power source that has failed. The entire campus network will not be functioning. This includes the internet and email.
Senator Nanjundappa thanked everyone for wishing him well while he was ill. He commented that CFA is very pleased about its recent agreement with the CSU. We expect ratification will take place before the end of April. CFA will notify Senators of the exact date.
Senator Alva invited senators to participate in the annual trip to Fudan. Applications are still being accepted for this trip, scheduled to depart on May 22nd. Please direct questions to Senator Zhao.
Senator Stein announced the launching of promotional campaign that both she and Senator Rhoten have been coordinating under a UPI grant to promote Academic Integrity and Civility. One of the events will include a “Making Integrity Count Rap Contest” which will be held on April 16th from 12-1:00p.m. in the quad. She encouraged all to stop by and watch the five contestants, and promote this event to students.
Senator Taylor welcomed Senator Nanjundappa and thanked him and the CFA Fullerton Chapter for their hard work, but encouraged the body to look at Senator’s Drezner and Pasternack’s analysis of the CFA and CSU tentative agreement. Senator Nanjundappa responded that details from CFA are forthcoming.
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Due to lack of time, the minutes were not discussed.
4.1 ASD 07-58 Academic Senate Meeting Minutes 3-15-07 (Draft)
4.2 ASD 07-59 Academic Senate Meeting Minutes 3-22-07 (Draft)
V. TIME CERTAIN
Subject: ASD 07-37 Revised UPS 210.000 (Section I: Definitions and Section II: Faculty Personnel Standards) [Source: FPC 2005-2006]
Time: 11:45 a.m.
M/S/P [Hewitt/Fromson] with one abstention to approve ASD 07-37 Revised UPS 210.000 (Section I: Definitions and Section II: Faculty Personnel Standards) as edited, including the following:
· Section I.B.1: Page 2, lines 57-58: M/S/P [Hassan/Kanel]: to add “for performance” after “the President” and delete “first or”.
Subject: ASD 07-08 Proposed UPS on SRI [Source: FAC]
Time: 12:00 noon
It was M/S [Drezner/Fromson] to approve ASD 07-08 Proposed UPS on SRI as edited:
· Section II.F: Friendly amendments [Pasternack]: delete “and error-free” and “shall” before “be equitable”
· Section II.J: Amendment not friendly. M/S/P [Pasternack/Drezner] to change “paper or electronic format” to “completed in class or online.”
· Section II.K: Friendly amendment [Pasternack]: Add “The” before “University”.
· Section III.C: M/S/P [Fromson/Junn] to delete “Departments shall identify one employee, not a faculty member or student, for every class to administer the SRI forms to students” and replace with “Departments shall determine a fair, equitable and confidential process for administering SRI forms whether administered in class or online.”
· Section III.E: Amendment not friendly. M/S/P [Pasternack/Hassan] to delete “Student assistant shall not have access to completed forms or statistical summaries.”
Section IV.C: Amendment not
friendly. M/S/P [Pasternack/Fitch] to delete “at least fifteen minutes of
class” and (Friendly amendment [
· Section II.H.: M/S/P [Hewitt/Fromson] to change Section II.H. to: “There shall be three options for administering SRI forms. The default option shall be to administer the forms in the same context in which the course was delivered. However, a department or program may decide to have all SRI forms administered in the classroom or have all SRI forms administered on-line. Pursuant to CBA terms, students who do not participate in the regular SRI process shall not be permitted to complete a SRI form for that class.”
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT
No report, due to lack of time.
VII. STATEWIDE ACADEMIC SENATE REPORT
No report, due to lack of time.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
Items 8.1-8.5 were not discussed due to lack of time.
8.1 ASD 07-09 Revised UPS 300.040 Academic Standards for Postbaccalaureate Students [ASC]
8.2 ASD 07-17 Revised UPS 508.000 Policy on Return or Replacement of Library Materials [Library Committee]
8.3 ASD 07-27 Resolution: One-Year Trial to Elect Standing and General Committee Chairs in the Spring [Academic Senate Executive Committee]
8.4 ASD 07-38 Revised UPS 210.007 Appointment of Administrative Personnel
[Academic Senate Executive Committee]
8.5 ASD 07-61 Revised Academic Advising Policy [SALC]
Meeting was adjourned at 1:02 p.m.