May 23, 2006
Present: Alva, Bedell, Buck, Dabirian, Drezner, Emry,
Fidalgo, Fitch, Fromson, Gass, Guerin, Hagan, Hassan, Hewitt, Jones, Junn, Kanel,
Kantardjieff, Kelly, Kirtman, Klassen, Klein, Kreiner, Liverpool, Lovell, Matz,
Absent: Burgtorf, Gordon, Hall,
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Bedell called the meeting to order at 11:33 a.m.
II. URGENT BUSINESS
As assigned, Senator Pasternack and Senator Buck provided the following report:
· It was suggested that the first item on the 2005-2006 Statements of Opinion, which deals with General Education, should be discussed by next year’s Executive Committee.
· The committee that drafted the document on international agreements should review the statement of opinion data.
· VCAQ should review the statement on deferred maintenance.
· The opinion on online SRI’s seems to be evenly divided between full-time faculty and part-time faculty. Part-time faculty members’ vote in opposition of moving all SRI’s online was slightly higher. This may due to the fact that decisions to reappoint part-time faculty relies more heavily on SRI results.
IV. CHAIR’S REPORT
· The first Carol Barnes Award has been conferred on Dr. Raphael Sonenshein, Political Science.
· The Academic Senate office received an anonymous gift of $2,000 in support of the Carol Barnes Award.
· The chair of the Second Language Graduation Requirement Committee reported that the committee held its inaugural meeting yesterday and elected co-chairs Radha Bhattacharya and Brad Starr.
· The Academic Senate Marathon meeting scheduled on Thursday, May 25th will begin with breakfast at 8 a.m. and will be called to order at 8:30 a.m.
· Several hundred students have responded to the survey on academic quality, however, we received over 300 undeliverable e-mail message notices. Chair Bedell expressed concern over the number of undeliverable e-mail message notices. Senator Dabirian explained that our campus does not have a policy that requires students to check their university-issued e-mail accounts. The Senators discussed alternative methods of contacting students when messages are returned and ways of directing students to check their e-mail accounts when university information is distributed to them.
V. STATEWIDE ACADEMIC SENATE REPORT
The Statewide Academic Senate concluded its 2005-2006 year.
The Board of Trustees adopted the constitutional change to reduce one senator from five CSU campuses.
VI. CONSENT CALENDAR
Items 6.1 and 6.3 were pulled from the consent calendar and moved to items of New Business.
M/S/P [Rhoten/Buck] to approve the consent calendar as changed. Item 6.2 ASD 06-104 Proposed Constitutional Amendment: Committee on Internships and Service Learning passed unanimously.
· Also noted was a mistake on the agenda: Delete the word “DRAFT” after ASD 06-105 Consolidated International Education Policy Statement.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
7.1 ASD 06-63 Revised UPS 411.100 Curriculum Guidelines [UCC]
It was M/S [Fromson/Alva] to approve ASD 06-63 Revised UPS 411.100 Curriculum Guidelines.
· M/S/P [Buck/Fitch] to refer back to University Curriculum Committee with comments from The Academic Senate and instructions to consult with the other two curriculum committees (General Education and Graduate Education committees). (Hand vote taken, 21-9 result, motion passed.)
o Issue addressed: (P.2, lines 38-39) “UCC shall be the central university level committee for curriculum review.” This is no longer true. There are essentially three curriculum committees.
7.2 ASD 06-86 Revised UPS 300.040 Academic Standards for Postbaccalaureate Students [ASC]
It was M/S [Kanel/Hagan] to approve ASD 06-86 Revised UPS 300.040 Academic Standards for Postbaccalaureate Students.
o Senator Kanel (friendly amendment)
(Lines 16 & 23) Capitalize “P” in “postbaccalaureate” throughout the document
§ Senator Shapiro (friendly amendments)
· (Lines 16 & 23) Change back to “A postbaccalaureate”
· (Line 18): Replace “their” with “the student’s”
· (Line 24): Replace “he or she” to “the student”
It was M/S [Buck/
o It was M/S [Hewitt/Buck] to reduce units from 12 to 6 (lines 18, 21, and 25)
M/S/P [Emry/Klassen] to refer back to the Academic Standards Committee due to the following reasons:
· There are multiple issues in this document that are being governed by one policy. Perhaps they should be broken down by subheadings or into a different series of UPS documents that address the needs of :
§ Postbaccalaureate students
§ Teaching credential students
§ Students looking for recreational education
7.3 ASD 06-87 Revised UPS 411.200 General Education Guidelines and Procedures: New Existing Courses [General Education Committee]
· M/S/F [Pasternack/Guerin] to reinsert “over a five year period” and delete “periodic” (lines 31-32). Motion failed.
o [M] Senator Shapiro to change “five” to “ten”. Failed to get a seconder.
o It was M/S/P [Taylor/Drezner} to end debate on [Pasternack/Guerin] motion: division of the house/hand vote. Motion passed.
· Senator Alva (friendly amendment)
(Page 1, line 30): Delete “especially section 11” after UPS 411.100 and add a period.
· Senator Guerin (friendly amendment)
(Page 1, line 38): Add “and faculty” after “the
· Senator Hewitt (friendly amendment)
(Page 1, line 42): Re-insert “, and on department responses to the General Education Curriculum Review”
· Senator Fidalgo (friendly amendment)
(Page 2, line 40): Re-insert the word “ample”
· M/S/P [Buck/Alva] to change “five” to “eight” (p.2, line 31). Motion passed.
M/S/P [Emry/Fitch] to approve ASD 06-87 Revised UPS 411.200 General Education Guidelines and Procedures: New Existing Courses as amended. (Approved unanimously)
7.4 ASD 06-85 Revised UPS 300.017 Incomplete Authorized (I) and Incomplete Charged (IC) [ASC]
· Senator Hewitt (friendly amendments)
(Page 2, line 8): Change “when specific” to “when the stated requirements”
(Page 1, line 37): Change “must” to “shall”
(Page 1, line 37-39): Change to “In assigning an Incomplete, the instructor shall file with the department a “Statement of Requirements of Completion of Course Work,” which will include a time limit (up to one year) for completing requirements and shall provide the student a copy thereof.”
M/S/P [Kanel/Hagan] to approve ASD 06-85 Revised UPS 300.017 Incomplete Authorized (I) and Incomplete Charged (IC) as amended.
7.5 ASD 06-84 Revised UPS 300.005 Final Examinations [ASC]
It was M/S [Kanel/Hagan] to approve ASD 06-84 Revised UPS 300.005 Finals Examinations.
Meeting adjourned with discussion of this document on the floor.
VIII. CONTINUING DISCUSSION ON UPS 210.000 PERSONNEL POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR TENURE-TRACK AND TENURE FACULTY
Due to lack of time, UPS 210.000 was not discussed.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:01 p.m.