Approved 11-16-06






November 2, 2006



11:30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ACADEMIC SENATE CHAMBERS

Members Present:†† Altar, Alva, Arnold, Bedell, Bruschke, Buck, Dabirian, Fidalgo, Fitch, Fromson, Guerin, Hassan, Hewitt, Jones, Junn, Kanel, Kantardjieff, Klein, Liverpool, Mead, Meyer, Nanjundappa, Palmer, Randall, Rhoten, Rumberger, Shapiro, Stang, Stein, Taylor, Vogt, Walicki, Williams, Zhao

Absent: ††Burgtorf, Drezner, Gordon, Holland, Kirtman, Klassen, McConnell, Michalopoulos, Napper, Pasternack, Smith, Spitzer


I.              CALL TO ORDER

††††††††††††††††† Chair Guerin called the meeting to order at 11:32 a.m.



Senators Williams, Klein, and Bruschke requested the inclusion of the following items on the list of†† Academic Senate action items for 2006-2007:

        Childrenís Center: Look for ways to fund lowered costs for faculty and staff, and increase the number of spots available for their children

        Access to technology for part-time faculty

        Standardize the personnel evaluation process for part-time faculty

        Encourage applications for committees for part-time faculty




On behalf of the Academic Senate, Chair Guerin expressed sympathy to Senator Scott Spitzer and his family for the loss of his father this week.


Senator Nanjundappa reported that mediation sessions between CFA and CSU will take place next Wednesday through Friday. He will keep the body updated on its progress. Senator Nanjundappa also encouraged the body to attend the demonstration at the Board of Trustees meeting on November 15th. He would like to see more than 100 people from our campus attend. Students, staff, and faculty will be involved. Transportation and lunch will be provided. This group will be picked up in front of Langsdorf Hall at 8:00 a.m. and should return to campus around 1:30 p.m.


Senator Dabirian announced that recorded pronunciations of studentsí names will be placed on the web portal next month. He will do a demonstration for the Senate.



†††††††† 4.1 ASD 06-179 Academic Senate Meeting Minutes 10-26-06 (Draft) were approved as amended.


V.           TIME CERTAIN

Time Certain

11:45 a.m.

Betty Chavis, Vivek Mande, Robert Miller, Department of Accounting

Subject: Review of Special Investigation Audit Report

During this page-by-page review session, Drs. Chavis and Mande provided answers to general questions that Senators asked regarding the contents of the Special Investigation Audit Report. Chair Guerin encouraged all Senators to read the entire report, including the campus responses. She thanked Drs. Chavis and Mande for their time and expertise. President Gordon and VP Hagan will comment on the audit report and answer questions at the next Senate meeting.



††††††† Chair Guerin reported the following:

        Several members of the Senate Executive Committee met with Faculty Trustee Craig Smith. Senator Fromson reported that Trustee Smith was very sympathetic and supportive of the concerns expressed about the issue of space, especially regarding space for labs, on campus. Senator Taylor added that the Trustee was also very supportive of taking steps towards reducing faculty workloads. Chair Guerin mentioned that conversation took place on the rapid growth of our campus and sister campuses.

        Chair Guerin had very productive meeting with Tony Rimmer, Director, Faculty Development Center, and VP Atwell on exploring ways to provide mentoring for junior faculty. They believe this issue is very important, given our rapidly increasing body of junior faculty and increased faculty recruitment activity.



††††††† No report. The Statewide Senate will meet next week, November 8-9, 2006.



8.1 (It was clarified that the revisions of ASD 06-180 Revised UPS 293.000 The Carol Barnes Excellence in Teaching Award were made by the Faculty Affairs Committee, not the Senate Executive Committee.) M/S/P [Nanjundappa/Bedell] to approve ASD 06-180 Revised UPS 293.000 The Carol Barnes Excellence in Teaching Award as submitted. (Approved unanimously)


Due to time limits, the following items were not discussed:

8.2  ASD 06-181 Proposal for Minor in Entrepreneurship [PRBC]

8.3  ASD 06-174 (REVISED) New or Revised Documents Pending Approval



††††††† Meeting adjourned at 1:02 p.m.