May 1, 2008
AS Approved 10-2-08
Member Present: Altar, Alva, Arnold, Bedell, Bhattacharya, Bruschke, Buck, Bullock, Burgtorf, Carroll, Dabirian, Drezner, Fromson, Green, Grewal, Guerin, Hewitt, Hickok, Jarvis, Junn, Kanel, Kantardjieff, Klassen, Liverpool, McMahan, Mead, Nyaggah, Oliver, Palmer, Pasternack, Randall, Rhoten, Sage, Shapiro, Smith, Spitzer, Stang, Stein, Walicki, Williams
Absent: Fidalgo, Gass, Gordon, McConnell, Rumberger, Taylor
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chair Guerin called the meeting to order at 11:30 a.m.
II. URGENT BUSINESS
Senator Liverpool invited all to the 23th Annual Special Games at the Athletic Field this weekend. Over 3,000 Special Olympics Athletes and 4,500 volunteers are expected this year.
Senator Nyaggah invited all to the CFA Fullerton Chapter End of the Year BBQ on May 12th, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Senator Walicki invited all to the University Wind Ensemble Concert at 4:00 p.m. this Sunday, May 4th. This group will perform some of the work of David Maslanka, world renowned composer for wind ensembles, and he will be available for a question and answer period afterwards.
Senator Alva announced that she has accepted the position as Dean of the College of Health and Human Development at CSUN and will start the position in July. She thanked the Academic Senate and all of the faculty that she has worked with on numerous Senate committees, and expressed appreciation for all that she has learned from them in terms of “the Fullerton Way” and what it means to participate in collegial governance.
Chair Guerin announced the following:
· The All University Election will take place Monday, May 5th though Thursday, May 8th. All were encouraged to participate.
· An online GE survey was distributed via email this morning. The Chair of the GE Committee encourages everyone to complete the survey.
· Passing of Dr. George E. Saint-Laurent, emeritus faculty member, of Comparative Religion on April 24th. His family asked that any donations be made to the Guardian Scholars Program on his behalf. The body paused for a moment of silence in his memory.
IV. CONSENT CALENDAR
M/S/P [Burgtorf/Drezner] to approve the Consent Calendar. (Approved unanimously)
4.1 ASD 08-89 Revision to Section IV.D.12 of Approved UPS 210.000 Faculty Personnel Policy and Procedures
V. TIME CERTAIN
Time: 11:45 a.m.
Subject: Second Language Graduation Requirement Ad Hoc Study Group Recommendations
M/S/P [Junn/McMahan] to approve the following motions as amended. (Approved with one abstention)
· Friendly amendment [Carroll]: Replace “wide” with “comprehensive”
· Friendly amendment [Buck]: After “global competency”, add “and global awareness”
(1) To accept the overall recommendations of the Second Language Graduation Requirement Ad Hoc Study Group (as described in Part IV, p. 22, lines 864-867):
The Study Group recommends that serious consideration be given to an alternate, more comprehensive requirement that would actively promote, rather than require, second language proficiency, and that would not [necessarily] add further units to programs.
(2) To request that the Academic Senate Executive
Committee 2008-09 nominate an Ad Hoc Global Competency Committee no later than
September 15, 2008, charged with developing and recommending a global
competency and global awareness policy and timeline to meet and
implement this global requirement. It is important that the committee’s
recommendation be based on
wide comprehensive consultation with
departments and colleges. This Ad Hoc Committee shall complete and submit its
final report and recommendations to the Senate by October 1, 2009.
(Note: The Academic Senate office later designated this motion as ASD 08-83.)
VI. STATEWIDE ACADEMIC SENATE REPORT
No report was given.
VII. CHAIR’S REPORT
Chair Guerin reported the following:
· Regarding the resignation of Senator Alva, the Elections Committee informed the Senate Executive Committee that replacing her seat during the upcoming All University Election would violate the Academic Senate Constitution. The Elections Committee has recommended that the seat be left vacant until the following All University Election (May 2009).
· The newly revised and approved UPS 210.000 will be distributed to departments in hard copy this week
· The last meeting of the academic year will occur on May 15th. Committees that would like to submit documents to the Academic Senate for consideration should forward them to the Academic Senate office today.
· The Executive Committee meeting time on Tuesday, May 6th will be extended from 11:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. to review several documents received from committees and consider them for inclusion on the Academic Senate agenda for May 15th.
VIII. RESCISSION ITEM – FIRST READING
Item 8.1 will be considered for approval on May 15th.
8.1 ASD 08-87 Rescind UPS 450.300 Summer Session Policy [AS Executive Committee]
IX. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
9.1 ASD 07-183 Revised UPS 103.004 Computing Facilities Use Policy [ITC] was approved unanimously as amended:
Friendly amendment [Stang]: Page 1, line 20: After “…institutions.” add “Information Technology (IT) will ensure access to any internet sites, software, file types, processes, or protocols unless they have been deemed to be in violation of applicable law or are judged to be detrimental to the security or proper functioning of the network and systems. All major changes to IT Policy which significantly affect campus academic users will be consulted with the Academic Senate Information Technology Committee.”
Friendly amendment [Pasternack]: Capitalize first letter in “internet”
Friendly amendment [Bedell]: Change last sentence to read “All major changes to IT Policy which
significantly affect campus academic users will be
reviewed by the Academic Senate Information Technology Committee.”
Friendly amendment [Stang]: Page 1, line 27(first sentence in second paragraph): Replace with “Any actual or suspected violation of these policies should be brought to the attention of the system administrator of the equipment or facility most directly involved.”
Friendly amendment [Stang]: Page 1, lines 27-28 (after first sentence): Add “Violation of these guidelines may result in temporary loss of user privileges or user account. User consultation and notification shall be sought regarding loss of privileges.”
Friendly amendment [Stang]: Page 2, section 4: Replace entire section 4 with “Violations of this policy include but are not limited to negligent or intentional conduct that leads to degradation of systems or performance of the network, deprivation of authorized personnel to resources or access to any University computer system, or gains unauthorized access to system resources. In addition, abuse of computer or network resources at other sites through the use of California State University, Fullerton resources will be treated as though it occurred at the University. Knowledge of such activities by another user should be immediately reported to the system administrator of the equipment or facility most directly involved. Activities will not be considered misuse when authorized by appropriate University officials for security or performance testing.”
X. NEW BUSINESS
10.1 M/S/P [Alva/Kanel] to approve ASD 08-45 Revised UPS 410.103 Curriculum Guidelines and Procedures: Programs [UCC] as amended. [Approved unanimously]:
Friendly amendment [Hewitt]: Page 2, line 5 (section 3): Replace “campus” with “Office of Academic Programs”.
10.2 It was M/S [Drezner/Rhoten] to approve ASD 08-56 Revised UPS 240.200 Policy on Amorous Relationships Between Faculty, Staff, & Students [FAC]
Friendly amendment [Stang]: Page 3, section b: make “periodic” lowercase
Comment [Stang]: the word “policy” is inconsistent throughout the document. Should it be capitalized?
Discussion of this item was halted (with speaker’s list) when meeting adjourned.
Items 10.3-10.5 were not discussed due to lack of time.
10.3 ASD 08-85 Proposal: B.S. Athletic Training and Sports Medicine [Department of Kinesiology]
10.4 ASD 08-84 Revised UPS 100.000 - Elections Committee Revision: Membership
[Elections Committee & AS Executive Committee]
10.5 ASD 08-71 EL-BSN Pre-Licensure Proposal (Nursing) [GE Committee]
Meeting adjourned 12:59 p.m.