Your browser does not support javascript execution. Please enable the javascript for a better view.

California State University, Fullerton

Frequently Asked Questions

Did we answer your question?
Please visit Meet Your Advisors page to learn how one of our advisors can help you decide on your next study abroad destination! You are always welcome to speak with the Study Abroad Advisor who may help to answer your questions in more detail.

General Questions

What is my first step in planning for study abroad?
The first step is to attend an Information Session. We recommend that you start planning at least a year in advance.

How much does it cost to study abroad?
It varies depending on the program and length of stay.

Can I use financial aid and scholarships to help pay for study abroad?
Yes! Students may use financial aid and most scholarships for study abroad during the semester, year or summer. How much aid can be used will depend on the program you are participating on. Please check with the Study Abroad Office for more details.

Can I study abroad without adding an additional semester to my degree?
Yes! This question is on the minds of many students when they start to consider studying abroad. The key, as always, is to remain in close contact with our office and your academic advisors. If you do that, there is no reason that studying abroad needs to add additional semesters to you degree.

Do I need to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?
No! While many programs require knowledge of a foreign language, many provide courses in English and the chance to study the local language. At the same time, if you are studying a foreign language at CSUF, we can help you find a program that offers a language-immersion course that will help you improve your language abilities and understanding of the local culture.

Where can I study overseas?
Students can choose from study abroad options worldwide in Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa, Canada, Mexico and Australia.

Will the classes I take abroad transfer to CSUF?
Yes! Students complete a form with academic chairpersons before departing overseas to ensure courses and credits will transfer back to Cal State Fullerton. Grades earned during study abroad are posted onto the transcript and calculated in the GPA.

When can I study abroad?
Students are recommended to study overseas during their junior or senior year, although second semester freshman and sophomores may also participate. You may study abroad in your final year or semester. Graduate students can study abroad also.

Where will I live overseas?
Each study abroad program offers students living accommodations which may include dormitory housing, apartments, home stay, or bed & breakfasts.

Can I speak with a CSUF student who has studied abroad?
Yes, of course! Our Peer Advisors are students who have expressed a willingness to answer questions about their study abroad experiences.

Back to top

Bilateral Exchange

Where can I go on a Bilateral Exchange Program?
A list of locations is located within the program types under the programs tab.

How long can I go on a Bilateral Exchange Program?
One or two semesters, Mexico is the only summer option.

What if my major is not offered?
At this time only the majors listed are offered at the host institutions, students who do not have one of the listed majors offered at the university are not eligible to participate on the exchange program.

Can I go for my minor?
Yes, however you will want to work with the Study Abroad Office to make sure the Exchange program would fit the with the minor.

Can I use financial aid?
All financial aid, except work study, can be applied towards the cost of the program.

How much does it cost to attend the program?
The only fee charged by CSUF to participate on an exchange program is for the CSU tuition fees. However, students are responsible for additional expenses such as housing, airfare and personal expenses. Please check with the Study Abroad Office for more details.

How do I know the classes will count for my major?
All students are required to meet with their academic advisors to go over the courses offered while abroad to discuss how they will be applied to their degree.

Back to top

Financial Aid

Can I use financial aid for study abroad?
Yes! It is possible to use financial aid for virtually every study abroad option.

Are there any special procedures for using financial aid to study abroad?
In order for you to use your financial aid for your study abroad program, you must work with the Study Abroad Office to complete all necessary forms. This may include the completion of a financial aid consortium agreement with another educational institution. Cal State Fullerton financial aid will not be applied to your study abroad expenses unless these procedures are completed prior to departure.

How much of your costs will financial aid cover?
It depends on your study abroad program cost, your financial need, and the number of supplementary loans to which you will have access. In reviewing your options, you should also consider how much loan debt you are willing to incur.

Who takes care of your financial aid while you are overseas?
You are responsible. The Study Abroad Office can advise you in making the necessary arrangements to ensure that all funds are sent to the appropriate places. Keep in mind that you must make these arrangements prior to your departure or your aid may be delayed or may not be released at all.

Where can I find more information on Financial Aid?
You can find more information by visiting the Financial Aid at UH146, FAFSA, and Student Aid through Titan portal.

Back to top