University Search for
Vice President for University Advancement
The Vice President for University Advancement provides executive-level leadership for all aspects of the University's comprehensive fundraising program, alumni relations program, strategic communications, public affairs, government and community relations, special events advancement operations and oversight of the University's endowment through the Cal State Fullerton Philanthropic Foundation. Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President for University Advancement serves as a member of the President's Cabinet and President's Advisory Board and participates in all aspects of institution-wide planning in support of the mission and goals of the University. This position is one of five Vice Presidents of the University and is responsible for increasing CSUF's visibility and support among key constituents, major donors and the community. The Division of University Advancement provides leadership in strategic relationship-building with – and stewardship of – alumni, businesses, foundations, emeriti, faculty, staff, parents and other important constituencies in order to generate essential private financial support.
The Vice President for University Advancement has responsibility for senior level leadership overseeing all areas of Advancement including developing and overseeing new fundraising programs. Manages a personal portfolio of major donors and develops and implements plans for cultivation and solicitation in collaboration with academic leaders and campus development officers. Is responsible for operating the University's auxiliary foundation board and manages its endowment and budget and a stateside budget of approximately $6 million. Recruits high level foundation board members and oversees the planning of board retreats, meetings and the development of a strategic plan. Implements all fundraising materials and oversees the planning and execution of several premier university events. Works to develop campus-wide gift opportunities and proposals and manages a program which seeks to match the interests of numerous donors, including individuals, alumni, corporations and foundations, with the needs of the University. In addition, works to provide media and publication support and opportunities for the University community.
- At least ten years of significant experience in development as a sophisticated, seasoned professional; additional experience in a leadership role in a major capital campaign would be highly advantageous.
- Demonstrated success in designing and leading a comprehensive development, advancement and alumni relations program, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated ability to garner internal and external support for annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations, and major gift fundraising.
- Ability to select, train, supervise, inspire and lead a professional advancement team in a large complex organization.
- Solid track record of cultivating, soliciting and closing major gifts and the ability to match the needs and objectives of prospective donors with the fundraising goals of the University.
- High-level communication skills to express the University's mission and advancement objectives to varied audiences, including potential donors, community members, alumni and campus constituency.
- Demonstrated skill to work as a member of a senior institutional management team with strong capabilities in planning, organizing and managing.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues within the University leadership and with external partners at the individual and organizational level.
- Demonstrated ability and a commitment to working with senior University leaders at an institution where shared governance is highly valued.
- Ability to organize and motivate faculty, staff and key volunteers to participate effectively in fundraising and alumni related activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of the use of information technology to achieve advancement goals.
- Well-developed sense of the importance of alumni relations to the University and the role an alumni relations department plays in overall advancement.
- A demonstrated understanding of the role of University Advancement in the context of California.