Graduate Writing Requirements
UPS 320.020: University Writing Requirements
Section III: Graduate Writing Requirement
Graduate students must demonstrate writing skills that meet or surpass undergraduate proficiencies appropriate to the discipline. Each academic unit offering a graduate degree shall select the means by which their graduate students demonstrate writing ability consistent with the standards listed below and subject to confirmation by the Office of Graduate Studies. Academic units may, at their discretion, establish additional writing requirements for their graduate students.
- Prior to the awarding of a graduate degree, every student shall be required to demonstrate writing ability that is commensurate with the standards of the unit responsible for the student's academic work and the meets or exceeds the level required for the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) certification for the baccalaureate degree (Executive Order 665 ).
- The GWAR requirement may be met in any of the following ways. Each academic unit selects the method or methods by which their graduate students demonstrate writing ability, subject to confirmation by the Office of Gradaute Studies.
- By having passed the upper-division baccalaureate writing requirement at any CSU campus.
- By having passed with a grade of "C" (2.0) or better an upper-division writing course at another university equivalent to a course that meets the CSUF baccalaureate requirement. Equivalence must be certified by the academic unit responsible for the student's academic work and by the Office of Graduate Studies.
- By passing with a grade of "C" (2.0) or better an upper-division course approved by the University Writing Proficiency Committee as meeting the baccalaureate requirement; or an advanced, graduate-level course or courses certified by the University Graduate Education Committee as exceeding the baccalaureate writing requirement and approved by the academic unit responsible for the student's academic work.
- By scoring a minimum of 4.0 on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Writing Assessment Test, a minimum of 4.0 on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) Analytical Writing Assessment, or by passing a standardized writing proficiency exam, such as the Examination in Writing Proficiency (EWP), as approved by the Office of Graduate Studies and as established by an academic unit as meeting their writing requirement.
- By completing a written thesis, dissertation, or other written project that serves as the approved culminating experience for the student's graduate program. Requirements for format and language should be specific to the discipline as determined by the academic unit.
EO 665: Determination of Competence in English and Mathematics
Section D: Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement: Graduate Level
- Campuses may require demonstration of writing proficiency as a condition for admission to a graduate program.
- Campuses shall require demonstration of writing proficiency prior to the award of a graduate degree. The level of proficiency shall be no less than the level required for GWAR certification at the baccalaureate level.
- Campuses may require additional demonstration of advanced-level writing proficiency as a condition for admission to a graduate program and/or award of the graduate degree.