Care Services


Why does CSUF offer Care SErvices?

Care Services are needed when students experience distress that hinders them academically, emotionally, behaviorally, or physically. While many students cope with normal college related pressures and demands successfully, a significant number of students have difficulties which interfere with their performance.  Our goal is to provide exemplary programs and services designed to support students' academic and personal success.


What are Care Services?

The welfare and success of our students is our priority.  Care Services include:

  • Connecting students to counseling services or other mental health services.
  • Providing information related to financial aid or other cmapus departments.
  • Providing information related to Basic Needs Services.
  • Connecting them to the Student Success Teams in their college.  This involves helping students meet staff in their colleges who can provide academic advising and career development.
  • Helping students develop healthy plans of action that restore well-being and promote success.  Sometimes this consists of accessing involvement opportunities on campus; helping them problem solve specific challenges; providing university related information.
  • Notifying faculty should they miss class due to hospitalization.


Why be Concerned?

Attending university is an exciting and dynamic experience that can include making lifelong friends, engaging in exciting intellectual pursuits, and participating in the campus community. It is a time to grow in self-awareness and to develop a sense of adult identity.

It may also be a time of great stress. Balancing family, work, financial, and other obligations may tax a student’s coping skills.  When stress is severe, it may lead to physical and emotional distress and academic failure.

Distress may also result in displays of disruptive or problematic behavior.  Students in distress may benefit from a personal referral or other personalized outreach to connect them with support resources available on campus.


When to Refer a Student

Different signs of distress could raise concerns. These may be behaviors that you observe or that are reported to you by students, faculty, staff, or visitors.  Examples of circumstances that would be appropriate for a referral and outreach may include, but are not limited to, instances where a student...

  • Reports feeling overwhelmed, stressed, anxious, isolated, or depressed. 
  • Writes about threats to harm themself or others.
  • Is going through family, relationship, or interpersonal problems.
  • Experiences the loss of a loved one.
  • Lacks a social support network.

You can make a referral by completing the Student in Distress Referral form on our website. 

If you have questions please contact us via email at or call us at (657)- 278-3211. 

Please note: Our office provides non-clinical case management services. Clinical counseling services are provided by Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Requests for counseling services should be made directly by the student to CAPS by calling (657) 278-3040.

What happens after a referral?

After our office receives a referral, a member of our team will contact the individual who submitted the referral to discuss the concern. Staff will reach out to the referred student to schedule an initial appointment to assess the primary concerns and develop an appropriate action plan. This will include identifying what resources would be beneficial to the student and assist in coordinating access to those services. Staff will follow up with the student to monitor progress. Depending upon the circumstances, the referring person may or may not receive specific information about the student's action plan.

If initial interventions do not reduce distress, and/or the troubling behavior escalates, students may be referred to the Behavioral Intervention Team for further course of action. Students are referred for BIT review by current BIT members on a case by case basis.