Retention, Tenure, and Promotion (RTP)
Probationary faculty members are normally given a two-year initial appointment and are subject to evaluation before they are reappointed to subsequent probationary years or granted tenure. Tenure-track faculty are considered probationary faculty until they are awarded tenure or terminated.
Candidates for 2022-2023 actions are to submit their materials through Interfolio , the evaluation system implemented in 2017-2018. The template that candidates undergoing full performance reviews will use mirrors the requirements of UPS 210.000 and UPS 210.002. Interfolio is accessible through the Faculty Portal (for assistance see how-to login video ).
For more information on RTP, please see the slides from our latest candidate workshops.
For Counselors (CAPS) and Library Faculty there are some documents that are specific to their portfolios and they are listed below.
Fall 2022 Submission Deadline:
- First full performance review: 9/15/2022
- All other full performance reviews: 10/3/2022
Full performance reviews typically occur during probationary years 2, 4, and 6 and require the submission of a full portfolio reflecting achievements in three areas:
- Scholarly and Creative Activity
These reviews are CUMULATIVE and require data and documentation of activities always from the date of hire to the date of submission for the RTP Portfolio.
Fall 2022 Submission deadline: 10/3/2022
Abbreviated reviews typically occur during probationary years 3 and 5 and only require the submission of
- An updated CV, documenting all activities in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service since the date of hire at CSUF
- SOQs completed during the time period between the submission due date for the RTP Portfolio compiled for your last full-review and the submission deadline for your Review File for your abbreviated review
- Grade Distributions from the same time period as the SOQs
- For example, if you were undergoing an abbreviated review in the 2022-2023 Academic year , you would only need to submit SOQs and Grade Distributions from Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022 (if applicable)
Early Tenure & Early Promotion
Fall 2022 portfolio submission:
- Timetable #1 (first Full Performance review): 9/15/2022
- Timetable #2: 10/3/2022
To indicate that a faculty member would like to be considered for Early Tenure and/or Early Pomotion, he or she will need to fill out the declaration form below and submit it to the FAR office at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This type of review is considered a FULL-REVIEW and therefore is CUMULATIVE.
The Deadline to declare for the 2022-2023 Academic Year is 9/2/2022 .
After one year of full-time service a Tenure-Track Faculty member is eligible to apply for early tenure and/or early promotion. All Departmental Personnel Standards will have a list of criteria for how to achieve early tenure and/or early promotion for any particular department, however they will be much more stringent than the criteria for retention or for the normal awarding of tenure.
- Prospectus Instructions
- Added Material Instructions
- Departmental Personnel Standards (DPS)
- Tutorial on Accessing SOQs/Graded Class Lists (Grade Distributions)
- Instructional GPA by Department and Level of Instruction
- Link to Average Grades Awarded by Department Data
- Accessing Graded Class Lists Tutorial
- RTP Portfolio Checklist
- Portfolio Table of Contents
- RTP Rebuttal Response Form
- Co-Authorship Disclosure Form
- Early Tenure and/or Early Promotion Request Form
- Full Review Interfolio Template
- RTP Candidate Guide
- Logging Into Interfolio
- Locating your Interfolio Review Packet
- Adding Material to a Packet: New Users
- Adding Material to a Packet: Repeat Users
- Using Interfolio's Dossier for Evaluations
- Changing Document Order in Interfolio
- Submitting your Completed Interfolio Review Packet
- New Rebuttal Period Process