First Year College Communities
The first year of college can be intimidating. We know. Students need answers, guidance and the ability to form connections. That is why we created College Communities.
Our mission is to provide in-depth courses and programs specialized for specific schools that are tailored to assist you with major exploration, resources and peer-mentorship opportunities, ultimately fostering a success from your first year at Cal State Fullerton that echoes throughout your career.
Compass Crossing | UNIV 100
Compass crossing is a college community designed for students who have not yet declared a major. You must enroll in UNIV 100, where you will develop goals and identify academic strengths; learn about different majors; and develop a sense of your personal and professional interests. You will also have the opportunity to explore high quality academic and student success programs, and learn more about campus involvement opportunities—which will connect you to the Titan experience, both academically and socially. Be sure to enroll in Compass Crossing at your New Student Orientation this summer!
- COTA | UNIV 100
- With a range of artistic study options to choose from, the College of the Arts First Year Experience program, COTA 100, will assist you in exploring degree programs and concentrations, identify strengths, and develop a clear strategy for success in the arts. The COTA 100 learning community will help you form lasting bonds and friendships through networking with like-minded students. By the end of the course, you will develop a personal learning plan to guide your future academic, cultural, social, and civic learning, as well as skills to help facilitate your timely graduation. Be sure to enroll in COTA 100 at your New Student Orientation this summer!
- Learn more at the College of the Arts website .
- Mihaylo Discovery | UNIV 100
- Mihaylo Discovery prepares you for deciding your major and concentration by providing academic counseling for different concentrations and emphases. You will discover which majors match your personal and professional interests through self-discovery tools. Students will be set for success by connecting with students and faculty within the college. Information about programs, advising, resources and support from freshman-friendly faculty, advisers, professional staff and peer mentors will also be provided. Be sure to enroll in Mihaylo Discovery at your New Student Orientation this summer!
- Learn more at the Mihaylo College website .
- Comm Quest | UNIV 100
- Comm Quest provides the tools that allow you to explore career choices and majors within Communications. You will easily be able to narrow into the career pathway that links with your personality and skills. Through the course, you will form peer relationships and develop future networking with students with similar interests and career goals. By the end of the course, you will have knowledge on a variety of resources, student support services, clubs and organizations that will help university students in communications become a successful college student. Be sure to enroll in Comm Quest at your New Student Orientation this summer!
- Learn more at the College of Communications website .
- Center for Careers in Teaching
- The Center for Careers in Teaching provides first-year students all the resources necessary for successful major and career planning. You will have access to various programs and our academic planning tools for freshman . Dedicated advisors will assist you in designing a study plan that combines your major, general education, elective courses, subject-matter competency and credential pre-requisites into one plan. Students interested in becoming teachers will take EDEL/EDSC/SPED 110.
- Learn more at the College of Education website .
- Center for Academic Support in Engineering and Computer Science
- Our CASECS program, also known as the Center for Academic Support in Engineering and Computer Science program, facilitates first-year students in building a support community among students with similar career goals by providing a variety of resources. The program will help you establish a mentor-protégé relationship to receive support for your success in your selected profession and at the University. You will have access to academic success workshops, advising, student-specialized organizations and a variety of success centers.
- Learn more at the College of Engineering and Computer Science website .
- HHD Voyage | UNIV 100
- This College Community will introduce you to the range of opportunities in the health-care and human-service industries. Through HHD Voyage you will receive comprehensive academic support and advising to help you narrow into your desired fields of practice. You will connect with students with the same goals and develop future networking circles. Our dedicated advisors and faculty will guide you to ensure you are knowledgeable and prepared to meet all requirements for any major you select. Be sure to enroll in HHD Voyage at your New Student Orientation this summer!
- Learn more at the College of Health and Human Development website .
- HSS First Year Experience Program | Humanities 100
- You will be enrolled in Humanities 100 as part of the HSS First Year Experience program and introduced to the community of first-year students. You will form connections through engagement in academic and co-curricular workshops facilitated by peer mentors. By program completion, you will have explored academic options that complement your major and have a tailored academic plan for the rest of your time at Cal State Fullerton.
- Learn more at the College of Humanities and Social Sciences website .
- Major Exploration Programs
- Along with advising, our specialized major exploration program and various major advising workshops supply the tools necessary for selecting a clear career pathway. Our resources provide you with insight into various fields, allowing you to assess your personal and career interests and explore careers and majors. A variety of student clubs will help you form bonds and connections to maintain success throughout your college career.
- Learn more at the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics website .
Still have questions?
No problem, we are here to help! Feel free to contact us anytime.