2007-2009 Catalog
skip navigation
** NOTE, all CSUF area codes are now 657**
Home Page > Academic Advisement : Academic Advisement Page
skip navigation
Catalog Home
Degree Listing
Catalog Search
Course Search
Order Catalog
About the University
Academic Departments
Student Affairs
Academic Advisement
Admissions & Registration
University Regulations
Graduate Regulations
Academic Services
Academic Programs
Faculty & Administration
Course Updates
2007-2009 PDF Catalog
Previous Catalogs

Academic Advisement

Student meeting with adviser.

Academic Advisement Policy
New Student Orientations
Choosing General Education Courses and Electives
Advisement in the Major
TITAN Degree Audit
College Advisement Offices
Academic Advisement Center
Undeclared Majors
Planning a Major Program
Change of Major, Degree or Credential Objective
Departmental Academic Advisement
Pre-professional Programs
Health Professions
Teaching Careers
Immigration Requirements for Licensure
Answers to Your Questions

CSUF Academic Policy (UPS 300.002) states that:

  • the responsibility for ensuring the availability of academic advisement rests with each college dean
  • every student should declare a major or college of interest as soon as possible after admission to the university; and
  • all students shall confer with an academic adviser on a regular basis.
  • all first-time freshmen must receive academic advisement prior to registration for their first semester.

Back to Top

All first time freshmen are required to attend New Student Orientation, where they receive their mandatory academic advisement. First-time freshmen who do not register for a New Student Orientation session prior to the published deadline risk losing their fall admission. All transfer students are required to complete an overview of university requirements via Transfer Student Orientation or an online tutorial. Visit www.fullerton.edu/orientation for more information.

Back to Top

In keeping with the liberal arts tradition, the university requires its graduates to have sampled a variety of disciplines as part of their general education. The broad categories of general education courses are presented in the catalog section “General Education.”

All students are strongly encouraged to consult the Academic Advisement Center about selection of general education and elective courses.

Back to Top

Students who have declared a major should consult their departmental adviser on a regular basis for academic advisement. Students who wish to explore the majors offered by a specific college should contact either the college advisement office or the college dean’s office for referral to the department.

Back to Top

The TITAN Degree Audit (TDA) serves as an advising tool for both students and academic advisers. The report provides information on student progress towards the completion of general education, major and other degree requirements. Students can access their TDAs by logging on to TITAN Online and selecting the “Student Academics” tab. The student’s campuswide ID number and PIN are requirements to log in.

Back to Top

Students who wish to explore undergraduate majors offered by a specific college should contact the appropriate college advisement office. Please note: the College of Education does not offer undergraduate programs; undergraduates seeking academic advisement are encouraged to go to the Center for Careers in Teaching for assistance with course selection in preparation for teaching.

  • College of the Arts
    Office of the Dean Visual Arts 199
    (714) 278-3256
  • College of Business and Economics
    Business Advising Center Langsdorf Hall 731
    (714) 278-2211
  • College of Communications
    Advisement and Peer Mentoring Center
    College Park 425
    (714) 278-7620
  • College of Engineering and Computer Science
    Office of the Dean
    Computer Science 502
    (714) 278-3362
  • College of Health and Human Development
    Office of the Dean
    Education Classroom 324
    (714) 278-3311
  • College of Humanities and Social Sciences
    H&SS Student Access Center
    Humanities 112
    (714) 278-2594
  • College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
    Office of the Dean
    McCarthy Hall 166
    (714) 278-2638

Back to Top

University Hall 123
(714) 278-3606


The Academic Advisement Center provides academic counseling to matriculated students with respect to the General Education Program and the policies/procedures associated with that program. The Academic Advisement Center is the academic home department for undeclared students, providing services normally given through the student’s declared major department. Additionally, the center provides programs and services to assist students in the selection of a major. Students seeking information about the implications of academic probation are encouraged to visit the Academic Advisement Center for a personal consultation. Disqualified students must meet with an adviser in the Academic Advisement Center prior to enrolling in Open University and to discuss options for readmission. Please consult the Academic Advisement Center website for useful information about the General Education program, graduation requirements, university policies and procedures. The center provides walk-in advising; no appointment necessary.

Back to Top

Students who have not selected a major are “undeclared.” The Academic Advisement Center provides a variety of resources and services to assist students in choosing an appropriate major. Information about the various majors at Cal State Fullerton is available in the “Undeclared Resource Room” in the center (UH-124). The Academic Advisement Center offers resources to assist students in the exploration of available majors.

Back to Top

When students have selected a major field, they should familiarize themselves with all the requirements that are specified in this catalog under their chosen degree program. They should make a tentative semester-by-semester plan for completing the requirements, including prerequisites, and discuss this plan with an adviser in the major. In addition to courses in the major department, related courses in other fields and supporting courses in basic skills may also be required. These should be included in the tentative semester-by-semester plan. Sample plans for many majors are available at www.fullerton.edu/aac.

Some departments require placement tests prior to enrolling in some classes (e.g., foreign languages, music and computer science). The times and places for such placement tests are given in the Class Schedule. Students should purchase a copy of the Class Schedule at the Titan Bookstore prior to the start of registration.

Back to Top

To change a major, degree objective, or credential objective, obtain the required form in the Office of Admissions and Records (LH-114) and take it to the appropriate office(s) for signature(s). Such a change is not official until the form has been signed and filed in the Registrar’s Office.

Back to Top

An adviser in the major can provide information and suggestions and can assist the student to find the most desirable ways to meet the requirements for graduation and for the major or credential. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the assistance of an academic adviser. The final choice of courses and the responsibility for the program lies with the student. Undergraduate students who have not yet decided upon a major (undeclared students) will be advised in the Academic Advisement Center.
If students have transferred to Cal State Fullerton, the academic department advisers are able to offer better advice if students provide lists of courses they have taken and their own copies of transcripts from colleges previously attended.

Back to Top

The academic programs of the university provide appropriate preparation for graduate work in a variety of fields. Students who have made tentative decisions about the institutions at which they may wish to pursue graduate work should consult the catalogs of those graduate colleges as they plan their undergraduate course work. Students planning to pursue graduate work should supplement their undergraduate plan of study by completing course requirements at major graduate colleges.

The university offers a number of professional programs through the master’s degree. These include programs in the fine arts, business administration, communications, education, engineering, psychology, kinesiology, public health, public administration, speech pathology-audiology and others. Students interested in preparing for professional careers in these areas, either here or at other educational institutions, are encouraged to seek assistance and guidance from faculty members in these fields.

Prelaw Preparation
It is recommended that prospective law students prepare themselves in such fields as English, American history, economics, philosophy, political science (particularly the history and development of English and American political institutions) and such undergraduate courses as judicial process, administrative law, constitutional law and international law, philosophy (particularly ethics and logic), business administration, anthropology, psychology and sociology.
A distribution of course sequences among the social sciences, the natural sciences and the humanities is desirable. Students interested in becoming lawyers should contact the pre-law adviser in the Division of Politics, Administration and Justice. Some faculty members in the College of Business and Economics and the Departments of American Studies and History also can provide advice and assistance.

Students who might be interested in pursuing careers in the ministry, the teaching of religion, and associated fields should take some courses in comparative religion, psychology, anthropology, sociology, philosophy, history, English, speech communication and a foreign language. Students desiring assistance and counseling regarding advanced work in religious studies/comparative religion or professional careers as rabbis, priests, ministers, etc., may seek help from the faculty in the Department of Comparative Religion.

Human Services
Students who plan to seek employment in social work or human services should prepare themselves in the fields of human services, child and adolescent development, psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science, economics and research methods in the social sciences.

Students who intend to enter a professional program following undergraduate training should learn about the specific prerequisites for admission to the graduate program of their choice. Ordinarily, a major in one of the social sciences and some additional work in at least several other social sciences are recommended. Students with interests in pursuing careers in the field of social work and social welfare should contact the Master of Social work (MSW) Program for guidance and assistance.

Back to Top

University Hall 223
(714) 278-3980

All health professions programs are seeking the best qualified applicants with a good command of communications skills, rigorous basic science preparation, a broad general education base, and outside clinical experience. The Health Professions Advising Office provides information and advisement for prospective applicants. It is strongly recommended that students who wish to pursue careers in the health professions contact this office.

Back to Top
Students who plan to enter the teaching profession must prepare themselves by developing depth of knowledge in the subject areas they plan to teach. Teachers of elementary school-children must have a solid foundation of knowledge in all subjects taught in the elementary classroom. High school teachers must develop expertise in the subject named on their single subject credentials. Students are encouraged to seek advice early in their academic careers to most efficiently plan a program of study that effectively blends general education, major and subject matter preparation requirements. The Center for Careers in Teaching provides information and advisement for prospective teachers. Visit the Center for Careers in Teaching website (www.fullerton.edu/cct) or call (714) 278-7130.

Back to Top

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193), also known as the Welfare Reform Act, includes provisions to eliminate eligibility for federal and state public benefits for certain categories of lawful immigrants, as well as benefits for all illegal immigrants.
Students who will require a professional or commercial license provided by a local, state, or federal government agency in order to engage in an occupation for which the CSU may be training them must meet the immigration requirements of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act to achieve licensure. Information concerning these requirements is available from Greg Sweet, Tax Compliance Manager, College Park 392, (714) 278-5671, P.O. Box 6808, Fullerton CA 92834-6808.

Back to Top


Topic Where to Go Location Telephone
Academic Appeals Academic Appeals Office Langsdorf Hall 805 278-3836
Add or Drop a Class See Class Schedule    
Address Change Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Admissions/Applications Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601





  Undeclared Major Academic Advisement Center University Hall 123 278-3606
  Declared Majors Major Department    
Athletics Tickets Athletic Ticket Office Titan House 278-2783
Child Care Children’s Center Children’s Center 278-2961
  Personal Counseling and Psychological Service Student Health and Counseling, East Bldg. 278-3040
  Vocational Career Center Langsdorf Hall 208 278-3121
Degree Application/
Diploma Orders
Graduation Unit Langsdorf Hall 108 278-2300
Degree Evaluation, Undergraduate Graduation Unit Langsdorf Hall 108 278-2300
Disabled Student Services Office Disabled Student Services Office University Hall 101 278-3117
Disqualification/Reinstatement Academic Advisement Center University Hall 123 278-3606
Emergency Messages Vice President for Student Affairs Langsdorf Hall 805 278-3221
  Business, Industry & Government Career Center Langsdorf Hall 208 278-3121
  Educational Career Center Langsdorf Hall 208 278-3121
  Minority Relations Career Center Langsdorf Hall 208 278-3121
  Student (Part-Time) Career Center Langsdorf Hall 208 278-3121
  Staff Human Resources College Park 700 278-2425
Enrollment Verification:      
  Duplicate I.D. Card TitanCard Office Pollak Library (South) 278-3555
  Fee Receipt Student Financial Services University Hall 180 278-3918
  Letter Request Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Extension Class Information Extended Education Information College Park 100 278-2611
Evaluations/General Education Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Financial Aid Financial Aid Office University Hall 146 278-3125
Foreign Student:      
  Advisement Major Department    
  Permits to Register International Education & Exchange University Hall 244 278-2787
Graduate Studies Graduate Studies Office McCarthy Hall 103 278-2618
Graduation Requirements (undergraduate) Graduation Unit Langsdorf Hall 108 278-2300
Health Insurance Titan Student Union Lobby 278-2468
Housing Housing & Residence Life Housing Office Cobb Residence Hall 278-2168
Internships and Service-Learning Center for Internships and Service-Learning Langsdorf Hall 209 278-3746
Library Information Pollak Library Library Lobby 278-2633
Name Change Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Organizations and Clubs Student Organization Resource Center Titan Student Union 247 278-7622
Outreach Services University Outreach Services Terrace Office Center 415 278-2086
  Fees Student Financial Services University Hall 180 278-3918
  Information Parking and Transportation Services Temporary 1400 278-3082
  Handicapped Disabled Student Services University Hall 101 278-3117
Readmission Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Records (Student) Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Registration Fees Student Financial Services University Hall 180 278-3918
Residency Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Scholarships Financial Aid Office University Hall 146 278-3125
Student Academic Services (EOP/SAA/Retention) Student Academic Services Office University Hall 143 278-2484
Summer Sessions, Information Extended Education Office College Park 100 278-2611
Test Information Testing Services University Hall 229 278-3838
Transcripts Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Transfer Services Transfer Services Center Langsdorf Hall 210A 278-3358
Tutoring Intensive Learning Experience University Hall 234 278-7236
Veterans Certification Admissions & Records Service Center Langsdorf Hall 114 278-7601
Women’s Center Women’s Center/Adult Reentry University Hall 205 278-3928

Back to Top

Cal State Fullerton Administrative Web site of Academic Programs, Cal State Fullerton Editor, catalog@fullerton.edu ©2007 Cal State Fullerton. All rights reserved