Top Banner
Skip navigation and go to page content

General Information

Meet the Staff
Supportive Services
Registering with DSS
News and Calendar
Disability Parking
Student Handbook

Faculty/Staff Handbook

Campus Resources
Other Sources of Support

horizontal Separator

Faculty Appeal of a Prescribed Accommodation/Adjustment

Once a student has been declared eligible for reasonable accommodations at CSUF, the department and instructors are bound legally to honor prescribed accommodations.

If a faculty member has questions about the appropriateness of a prescribed accommodation, he or she should contact the appropriate DSS staff member for consultation. If questions are not resolved, the faculty member should submit a written request for informal review to the department chair within five days. Informal resolution may also include input from the college dean, assistant dean for student affairs, CSUF ombudsman, and/or the ADA/504 compliance officer. If an informal resolution is not successful, the ADA/504 compliance officer will initiate a formal investigation of the complaint within two weeks. The department/faculty will be asked to demonstrate: (a) that the accommodations would cause undue hardship; and (b) that the authorized adjustment would fundamentally alter the program of instruction being pursued by the student. The accommodations must be provided for the student unless they are officially set aside or modified. A faculty member cannot refuse to make accommodations for a student once they have been prescribed. At the conclusion of the investigation, the ADA/504 compliance officer will report the findings to the president, whose decision will be final.

Students and faculty alike are encouraged to seek the expertise and guidance of the experienced professionals in DSS regarding the implementation of reasonable accommodations at CSUF. Such proactive consultation may help prevent unpleasant and unnecessary conflicts.

Student Complaints of Alleged Discrimination

A student who has a complaint of alleged discrimination with regard to service provision or related issues will meet with his/her DSS counselor in an attempt to resolve the issue. These complaints can include but are not limited to denial of accommodation, delay and/or denial of services or auxiliary equipment, unequal treatment, program and architectural inaccessibility, or failure to be reasonably accommodated in the employment setting (campus positions only). If resolution is not reached at this level, you may request a formal meeting with the DSS Director. Upon receipt of the written complaint, the Director will have five (5) business days to arrange a meeting with the student. The DSS counselor may attend this meeting at the request of either the student or the Director.

Finally, students have the right to file a grievance directly with the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education (Region IX) if they choose to do so.

Academic Appeals

Students who have grade disputes are encouraged to make every effort to resolve the issue informally by meeting with the instructor. If the dispute is not resolved then the student may consult the department chair or dean of the college. Students who feel they have been unsuccessful at resolving the issue informally should contact the Coordinator of Academic Appeals, who will work to resolve the dispute informally and provide information and clarification about university policies. Students are encouraged to contact the Coordinator if they have questions about the academic appeals process. Failure of the coordinator to resolve the issue informally will lead to an implementation of a formal hearing with the Academic Appeals Board as outlined in UPS 300.030. Students must initiate the appeals process by contacting the faculty member and/or the department chair within one academic month after they could reasonably be expected to be aware of the action in question. Copies of the governing documents are available from the Coordinator of Academic Appeals, Langsdorf Hall 810, phone (657) 278-3836. There are two grounds for filing a formal appeal.

Appeals Regarding Academic Dishonesty

When a faculty member(s) has alleged that a student, individually or as part of a group, has performed an act of academic dishonesty and has penalized the student for the act, the student has a right to contest the allegations and /or the penalty. Because the university presumes that students act honestly, a charge of academic dishonesty will only be upheld if the faculty member provides clear and convincing evidence to show that the student performed an act of academic dishonesty.

Appeals Regarding Capricious or Arbitrary Assignment of a Grade

A student who alleges capricious, arbitrary or prejudicial (collectively "arbitrary") treatment in the assignment of a course grade ("grade") has the right to contest that grade. Because the university presumes that the individuals who assigned the grade ("faculty member") were fair and objective in the assignment of that grade, a grade will be upheld unless the student presents clear and convincing evidence that the faculty members acted arbitrarily. A faculty member's normal exercise of professional judgment will not support a charge of arbitrary treatment.

Right of Noncompliance

Certain university activities either within or outside of the classroom may involve varying degrees of risk to the participants. The instructor must fully divulge such risks and obtain expressed or implied consent prior to undertaking the activities. A student who comes to believe the risks, whether physical or psychological, are excessive can withdraw from participation and inquire of the instructor an alternative without penalty. If there is none, the student may appeal to withdraw from the course without penalty or for an appropriate modification of the activity. The appeal may be addressed to the chair of the department or to the chair of the Institutional Review Board, or both.

Right of Petition

Students may petition for review of certain university academic regulations (not to include regulations contained in Title 5, California Code of Regulations) when unusual circumstances exist. Petition forms may be secured and filed in the Office of Admissions and Records. They will be forwarded to the University Petitions Committee for consideration. Students will be notified of the results, which will be included in the student's file in the Office of Admissions and Records.

End of content: footer below
University LogoSkip quick links
CSUF Contact Information Search Home: Link to CSUF Homepage
This page is maintained by the Cal State Fullerton department of Disability Support Services. Report problems to

California State University, Fullerton
©2003. All Rights Reserved.
This site may contain links to Web sites not administered by California State University, Fullerton, or one of its divisions, schools, departments, units or programs. California State University, Fullerton, is not responsible or liable for the accuracy or the content of linked pages.