The I Am First… program will equip first-generation college students with the confidence, self-awareness, and career readiness knowledge to jumpstart into a successful journey towards achieving career and leadership development. As an I Am First student you will be amongst a group of your peers who can relate to the first-generation college experience and provide a network of support even beyond the program conclusion.
I am First... Program Benefits
- Design Your Life Exploratory Lab - walk away with a career and life road map to success
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 - a strengths-based assessment and overview to help identify your strengths as a first-generation college student
- First-generation Alumnus, Employer, Faculty Panel/Networking
- Access to an Alumni Mentor
- Receive a Launch Your Career Workbook with activities to build your networking skills to access the hidden job market and take a readiness assessment to identify ways to improve or enhance your readiness skills
- 1-1 Coaching sessions with the I Am First Career Coach
- Scholarship Award Opportunity - A $250 scholarship will be awarded to a select number of students who fully complete the program and additonal program requirements, to further explore and execute their goals
- Access to interest and career inventories offered by the Career Center free of cost i.e. Strong Interest Inventory and Myers Briggs Personality Assessments (valued at $20 each)
- Community through Canvas and Social Media
Apply for I AM FIRST - CLICK HERE
- Identify as a first-generation college student - See application for definition
- Currently enrolled as a 1st/2nd year undergraduate student - Fall Semester Cohort only
- Currently enrolled as a transfer, 3rd, or 4th year undergraduate students - Spring and Summer Semester Cohort only
- Complete entire program application
- Submit resume - The Career Center offers “Drive-Thru Services” M – F to assist you with your resume related questions. Or you can also utilize VMOCK our virtual resume check software, if you are unable to visit us in person. Click HERE to access VMOCK.
- Note**Program admittance is limited to 50 students.
Mandatory Spring - Friday sessions from 10am - 12pm - full commitment to attend all sessions is required. Two or more missed sessions will disqualify students for being eligible for a scholarship award and a Career Readiness Completion Certificate granted by the Career Center.
- Program Timeframe : 2024 | March 1st - May 3rd
- Sessions are hybrid. There will be 5 sessions in-person and 4 sessions will be virtual.
Deadline to Apply - Deadline Friday, January 12th
Student Orientation (Mandatory): TBA
For additional questions regarding the I Am First program contact Stephanie Reyes at email@example.com
Hear from your peers about many aspects of being a first-generation college student and their experience in the I Am First program. Click on the thumbnail to play the video.