Community Partners - Service-Learning
Service-learning is a teaching methodology that utilizes service experiences in the community as text for learning in the classroom. Local nonprofit organizations, government agencies and schools serve as co-educators and provide real world learning situations for students to address unmet community needs. Service-learning activities inform, clarify, illustrate and stimulate additional thought about academic topics covered in the classroom, as well as encourage students to develop or strengthen a habit of service, social responsibility and community engagement. On-site work or projects are combined with reflective academic assignments that help students learn by doing.
Almost every college at CSUF offers service-learning. Students enrolled in service-learning courses will participate by engaging in 15 to 40 hours of service per semester. For more information on service-learning and how you can get involved, please contact the CICE office at (657) 278-3746 or email@example.com.
General Site Guidelines and Responsibilities
Community Partners interested in offering service-learning opportunities are required to:
Many service-learning courses require that students have direct client interaction. Please be aware of this when posting your opportunity and contact us if you have any questions.
- provide a clear position description for the service-learning experience
- provide consistent supervision by a professional staff
- provide orientation to the student and his or her specific assignments
- meet with and provide feedback to the student
- ensure that no more than 20% of a student's time is spent on clerical or administrative tasks.
IMPORTANT: Students are not permitted to drive or transport clients during service-learning hours.
Important information about service-learning opportunities
If you are considering offering service-learning opportunities to CSUF students please consider the following.
- Service-Learning courses are offered in all majors and disciplines at Cal State Fullerton (including political science, biology and engineering, to name a few!).
- Faculty members have varying degrees of involvement with partners sites. Faculty members may work with you collaboratively to create a project for the students, or you may take on individual service-learning students to assist your organization in meeting community needs.
- Consider contacting us if you have an identified community need and wish to enlist students on a short-term basis to address that need. We will investigate possibilities of partnering you with faculty to create a service-learning project
- By offering service-learning you are introducing students to community involvement and promoting a lifelong ethic of engagement and community service.
UPS 411.600 CSUF Policy on Service-Learning
To offer service-learning opportunities to CSUF students, click here.