Program Info & Benefits
What is America Reads and Counts (ARC)? ARC is a program of the Center for Internships & Community Engagement at Cal State Fullerton, designed to improve the reading and math skills of K-12 students through on-site tutoring. ARC Tutors are placed in elementary, middle and high schools as well as after-school programs under the guidance of classroom teachers or after-school program staff.
What does the ARC Tutor do? The goal of an ARC tutor is to provide extra direction and one-on-one attention to students in reading and math in order to better prepare them to succeed in school. ARC Tutors are paid at a rate of $10/hour and are part-time employees of the Center for Internships & Community Engagement.
What are the benefits of being an ARC Tutor?
- Résumé building experience in tutoring, interpersonal communication skills, and mentoring.
- Network with administrators and key program staff in local schools and community-based organizations.
- Serve your community and help grow future generations.
- Gain personal and professional development skills.
- Federal Work Study (FWS) earnings are not counted as income in determining your future financial aid eligibility.
ARC Partner Sites
City of Fullerton
Abrazar ASES P.R.I.D.E. Program
Valencia High School
Santa Ana Police Athletic & Activity League (PAAL)
What are the requirements to become an ARC Tutor?
- Desire to teach children.
- Eligible for Federal Work Study.
- Minimum 2.5 grade point average.
- Strong reading, writing, and math skills.
- Possess maturity, respect for youth, ability to listen with patience and an open mind.
- Communicate effectively with youth and supervisors.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Previous tutoring experience desired, but not required.
Apply to be an ARC Tutor
How to apply?
Hiring for the 2013-14 academic year is complete. We will begin recruitment for 2014-15 during the summer. Please e-mail the ARC Assistant Coordinator at email@example.com for updates or questions.
Center for Internships & Community Engagement
California State University, Fullerton
800 N. State College Blvd., LH 206
Fullerton CA 92831
Phone: (657) 278-3746