COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
BA American Studies
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the concept of culture by analyzing the functioning of American cultural texts within historic contexts, using knowledge developed by different disciplines.
- Students will express an understanding of American cultural diversity that recognizes the historical construction and functioning of categories of identity such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, or region.
- Students will become informed citizens who understand American political and social issues within historical, cultural, and global contexts.
- Students will interpret and analyze critically a range of cultural documents and expressive forms.
- Students will design and carry out an original interdisciplinary research project exploring American culture that makes use of both primary and secondary sources.
- Students will communicate complex ideas about American culture in clear and well-organized written papers and oral presentations.