Retention, Tenure, and Promotion (RTP)
Probationary faculty members are normally given a two-year initial appointment and are subject to evaluation before they are reappointed to subsequent probationary years or granted tenure. Tenure-track faculty are considered probationary faculty until they are awarded tenure or terminated.
Candidates for 2019-2020 actions are to submit their materials through Interfolio, the evaluation system implemented in 2017-2018. The template that candidates undergoing full performance reviews will use mirrors the requirements of UPS 210.000. Interfolio is accessible through the Faculty Portal (for assistance see how-to login video ).
For more information on RTP, please see the slides from our latest candidate workshops .
For Counselors (CAPS) and Library Faculty there are some documents that are specific to thier portfolios and they are noted below.
Full performance reviews typically occur during probationary years 2, 4, and 6 and require the submission of a full portfolio reflecting achievements in three areas:
- Scholarly and Creative Activity
These Reviews are CUMULATIVE and require data and documentation of acitivties always from the date of hire to the date of submission for the RTP Portfolio.
Abbreviated reviews typically occur during probationary years 3 and 5 and only require the submission of
- An updated CV, documenting all acitivties in Teaching, Scholarship, and Service since the date of hire at CSUF
- SOQs completed during the time period between the submission due date for the RTP Portfolio compiled for your last full-review and the submission deadline for your Review File for your abbreviated review
- Grade Distributions from the same time period as the SOQs
- For example, if you were undergoing an abbreviated review in the 2019-2020 Academic year, you would only need to submit SOQs and Grade Distributions from Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019 (if applicable)
Early Tenure & Early Promotion
After one year of full-time service a Tenure-Track Faculty member is eligible to apply for early tenure and/or early promotion. All Department Personnel Standards will have a list of criteria for how to achieve early tenure and/or early promotion for any particular department, however they will be much more stringent than the criteria for retention or for the normal awarding of tenure. This type of review is considered a FULL-REVIEW and therefore is CUMULATIVE.
To indicate that a faculty member would like to be considered for Early Tenure and/or Early Pomotion, he or she will need to fill out the declaration form below and submit it hard copy to the FAR office in PLS-290.
The Deadline to declare for the 2019-2020 Academic Year is 5pm on September 6, 2019.
- RTP Portfolio Checklist (Hard Copy)
- Portfolio Table of Contents
- Co-Authorship Disclosure Form
- Blank SOQ Forms
- Early Tenure and/or Early Promotion Request Form
- Interfolio Full Review Template
Documents for Libarians ONLY
- Librarian Portfolio Checklist (Hard Copy)
- Librarian Portfolio Table of Contents
- Full-Review Template for Librarians