GOAL: For admissions committee members to understand who you are as a person
- Should be a succinct, one‐page (e.g., 4500 characters) narrative that displays clear language and writing skills — Remember: Admissions committee members read up to 50 essays a day
- Should address the following:
- Your motivation for professional school
- Your story – what makes you unique
- Your qualifications and experiences
- Prepare and gather information to include (e.g., your resume, journal, etc)
- Review and proofread
- Get feedback from the Health Professions Advising Office, Career Center, and/or Writing Center
Writing provided by Dr. Sora Tanjasiri, Department of Health Science
Please visit The Ohio State University's Career Connections' page to view a PowerPoint presentation titled, "Writing Winning Personal Statements" located on the right-hand side. The Career Connections Center at The Ohio State University has agreed to share this highly beneficial presentation with our students.
Another great source to utilize are the University of Minnesota workshops. These workshops are a great way to get starte don your personal statement and can give you helpful advice on starting it.
If you would like assistance with writing your personal statement, the following on-campus resources are available:
CSUF Writing Center: Available to current CSUF students only
To schedule an appointment online, visit fullerton.mywconline.com. All appointments take place in the Writing Center, which is located on the first floor of Pollak Library North. For further information, please visit the Writing Center’s website or call the Writing Center at (657) 278-3650.
Hours of Operation:
Please refer to their website for hours of operation.
Career Center: Current Students, Members of Alumni Association, and Current Alumni (within 1 year of graduation)
Langsdorf Hall 208
Office Hours: Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm
Please visit the Career Center’s website for additional information www.fullerton.edu/career.
In order to schedule an appointment, you can go to our schedule an appointment page and schedule your appointment at the bottom of the page. You will be required to bring at least one hard copy of your personal statement with you on the day of your advising appointment.