Faculty in Residence
At Cal State Fullerton, we aspire to combine the best qualities of teaching and research universities where actively engaged students, faculty and staff work in close collaboration to expand knowledge. To continue the enhancement of the living-learning experience of our students here at Cal State Fullerton, we are looking for a Faculty in Residence (FIR) to serve a 2-3 year term beginning in August 2018. The faculty member resides within the student housing community and interacts with residential students both formally and informally. Faculty who are flexible in terms of availability create valuable learning opportunities that engage students outside the classroom. Please see the application directions below for the Faculty in Residence position. Extra consideration will be given to tenured or tenure-track faculty members, as well as participants in the faculty mentor program.
responsibilities and expectations
The Faculty in Residence program is a dynamic and interactive opportunity for faculty to contribute to students’ intellectual curiosity and academic persistence. A successful faculty member in the program enjoys being with students outside of the classroom, will dedicate 10-12 hours a week to the program, maintain a high level of visibility within the student housing community to encourage informal contact with students, and be a positive role model.
Terms and Agreement
Download and read the Faculty in Residence Terms and Agreement.
Curriculum Vitae or Résumé
Prepare either your curriculum vitae or résumé.
Answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the Faculty in Residence position?
- Please describe your experience educating students outside the classroom. This could be in conjuction with Housing and Residential Engagement, your department, or another university.
- How would you use your Faculty in Residence position to:
- Support residents' academic success?
- Create a sense of community among residents?
- Demystify the faculty position to residents?
- Describe a program that you, as a Faculty in Residence, might offer to residents in the student housing community.
- How would you manage the Faculty in Residence responsibilities in conjunction with your other faculty responsibilities?
- Please provide additional comments that you think might help us understand your interest in serving as a Faculty in Residence, or comments that would assist your candidacy.
Send in your résumé, curriculum vitae, and answers to the application questions via mail or email to:
Associate Director, Residential Engagement
CSUF Housing and Residential Engagement
1509 East Campus Drive, Fullerton, CA 92834
Priority Application Deadline: Feburary 1, 2018.
Informal Interviews - December 2017 through January 2018
Before the application due date, applicants participate in informal interviews in order to gain additional information about the position and have a chance to ask questions of our staff. We would like for the candidate to leave this conversation with enough information about the position to feel comfortable moving forward in the process.
Formal Interviews - February through March 2018
After the application deadline, candidates selected to continue in the selection process will be invited to participate in an interview with our Faculty in Residence selection committee.
Open Forums - March 2018
Finalist candidates will be asked to participate in an open forum with residents and key student housing stakeholders. More information about this process will be made available in February 2018.
Final Selection Decision: April 1, 2018