Fall 2018 Closing and Checkout
24-Hour Quiet Hours - Each semester beginning at 5 p.m. on the last Friday of classes through 5 p.m. on the Saturday of finals week, a 24‐Hour Quiet Hour policy is in effect.
All residents in the Residence Halls are required to vacate during Winter Recess and must depart by 10 p.m. on Friday, December 21, 2018 and may not return until the Residence Halls re-open at 10 a.m. on Thursday, January 17, 2019. Residents in the Single Apartments and Double Apartments are permitted to come and go as they please during the Winter Recess.
Finals Week and Winter Recess Hours of Operation
Housing and Residential Engagement
- Until December 21: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- December 22 and 23: Closed
- Monday, December 24: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Please be aware: campus may be closed on December 24. More information will be available during the week of December 17.
- December 25 - January 1: Closed
- January 2: Return to normal operating hours.
- Until December 21: Regular operating hours, closing at 10 p.m. on Friday, December 21.
- December 22 until January 1: Closed
- January 2 - 11: 2 - 6 p.m.
- January 12 - 16: Closed
- January 17: Return to normal operating hours.
Academic Resource Center:
- Friday, December 14: 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday, December 15: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Sunday, December 16: 4 p.m. – Midnight
- Monday, December 17 to Thursday, December 20: 8 a.m. – Midnight
- Friday, December 21: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- December 22 - January 21: Closed
- January 22: Return to normal operating hours.
Thanks to advocacy initiatives by the Resident Student Association, we're happy to offer extended hours at the ARC for the weekend before and during Finals Week.
All locations (The Gastronome, Community Market, and Late Night Café):
- Until Friday December 21: Regular operating hours.
- December 21 - January 16: Closed
- Thursday, January 17: Return to normal operating hours, with The Gastronome opening for lunch at 11:30 a.m.
Residence Hall Closing
Students assigned to the Residence Halls (Elm, Fig, Holly, Juniper, and Pine) must vacate by 10 p.m. on Friday, December 21 and cannot return to their rooms until the buildings re-open at 10 a.m. on Thursday, January 17. Students who are returning in the spring are not required to make a checkout appointment with their Resident Advisor.
Late Stay and Early Return
Late stay and early return requests should be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org only for extenuating circumstances, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students approved for late stay or early return may be responsible for a fee of $40/night.
Room Access during Winter Recess
Access to student rooms in the Residence Halls will be removed from TitanCards during Winter Recess. Students who need to return to their rooms to retrieve critical personal belongings only (wallets, passports, medical supplies, etc.) may contact the Housing Office for assistance, and will be subject to a $20 fee.
Preparing your Room for Winter Recess
You must adequately prepare your room for Winter Recess by completing all the steps below:
- Clean your MicroFridge or other Mini-Fridge, if you have one. Throw away all perishable items.
- Take out your trash to one of the dumpsters outside the building. Don't leave your trash outside your door, in your restroom, or in any of the common areas on your floor. Don't throw away your trash in the small trash cans outside the buildings - take it to the dumpsters.
- Close and lock your windows. If you live on the first floor, please close your blinds. Blinds on the upper floors should be pulled up.
- Pack everything you may need during the break. Our staff will only allow you to access your room over break to retrieve a critical personal belonging, and you'll be charged $20.
- Take any personal belongings from common spaces, if you left any of your belongings in your restroom, active, passive, or study rooms.
- Take down any holiday decorations.
- Clean your room and do not push debris into the hallway. You are responsible for the area around your room. Check out a vacuum cleaner from the Housing Office, Mailroom, or Academic Resource Center if necessary. A Goodwill donation bin is available on the first floor of Cypress to donate any unwanted goods.
- Remove personal items from your floor and under your bed. Our staff will be entering rooms over Winter Recess to complete preventative maintenance projects.
Failure to adequately prepare your room before leaving, or for staying in the building past 10 p.m. on Friday, December 21 can result in a $120 Improper Checkout Fee.
The Residence Halls will re-open at 9 a.m. on Thursday, January 17.
Apartment Closing Information
Residents in the Single or Double Apartments are not required to leave for Winter Recess and may come and go as they please.
The Gastronome will close at 8 p.m. on Friday, December 21, so residents will be responsible for their own meals until the Gastronome opens at 11 a.m. on Thursday, January 17.
The Juniper laundry room will be closed and locked over the Winter Recess. Apartment residents should plan to use the Cyrpess laundry room.
Remember, if you have a guest visiting during the Winter Recess, you must be with them at all times. You may not leave them unattended or provide them your key/ID to enter your room, apartment, or building. As a reminder, the guest policy states "no guest can stay longer than three consecutive days over a two week period." Apartment residents may no transfer a guest to different hosts in the apartment to supersede the three day policy. Additionally, you are responsible for your guest's behavior, comments, and actions while in the community.
If you are leaving...
Before you go, please make sure to check the following steps:
- Throw away any perishable goods from your kitchen that will expire while you're gone.
- If you have an empty bed in your apartment, please make sure you clear all of your belongings from that bedspace. It is very likely that you'll be getting a new roommate in January.
- Take out your trash to the one of the dumpsters outside the buildings. Don't leave your trash outside your front door, and don't throw it away in the small trash cans outside the buildings - use the dumpsters.
If you have been approved to move-out at the end of the Fall semester, please check your email for information regarding required check out procedures. You must schedule an appointment with your Resident Advisor.